View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: NUV to DVD on Windows...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:35 pm 
Is there any way to convert NUV files on Windows to DVD? what program should I use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:47 pm 
You need to provide more info, Mr. Burro. Sometimes Myth writes MPEG2 files and gives them NUV extensions. If that's your scenario, your task is as simple as renaming the file to *.mpg and using something like Nero to make your DVD.

If your recording device is a Hauppage 150, 250, 350 or the ilk, your NUV files are MPEG2. If your recording device is a high-def tuner card, your NUV files are MPEG2-TS (transport stream). A related format that Nero can handle as well.

If your card uses another native format, you can still convert the NUV file into something you can record to DVD. But by this point it's easier to just update your Myth box and use MythArchive. Again, you can search the Knoppmyth Wiki for articles on this and a variety of topics. There is also a generic Myth Wiki that also has good info.

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:16 pm 
Hi, I am not sure what they are but my card does not do hardware encoding its software encoding. I have an old pinnacle card, which does a pretty good job. Now, I changed the extension from NUV to MPG and tried to play it using VLC and WINAMP and I can hear the sound but I cant see the video. Any ideas? am I missing some codec or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:17 pm 
Site Admin
For software based tuner cards, MythTV uses a modified version of Nupplevideo. As far as I'm aware, only a patched version of MPlayer will play the video. You cannot just change the extension to .MPG and expect it to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:57 pm 
Wrong Cecil (but thanks for your help)... I installed the MYTHTV Filters (DSMyth) and just by doing that I was able to open the files in adobe premiere, of course I had to rename the exptension to mpg. I was not able to do this before intalling the filters, so the obviously contain the codec. The problem that I am having now is that the audio does not synchronize well with the video. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:49 am 
Update:

I was finally able to do it using Windows Movie Maker, I was able to convet from NUV to High Quality WVM. However, I cannot edit the video, Windows Movie Maker will behave erratically, sometimes it lets me edit the video and all of a sudden it will freeze. If I do a conversion to WMV without editing it will work just fine. But edting is the problem. Does anybody have any experience with this? Whats the best program that I can use to edit my NUV videos?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:17 am 
WMM crashes for me too without explanation, although larger files seem to trigger it. One of my burners came with a "lite" version of Nero 7, I've used that to edit an mpg (from ReplayTV) recently. Maybe you've got something like this, or Pinnacle, Ulead, etc, lying around?

Post subject: Trial of Nero?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 am 
mogator88 wrote:
Maybe you've got something like this, or Pinnacle, Ulead, etc, lying around?

Alternatively why not download a 15-day trial of Nero from http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php?

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:58 am 
There's a windows program called "super" that may be able to help here. It seems to be able to go to/from just about any format. I've used it to transcode HD down to my LG phone. The interface is a little quirky, but it usually gets the job done. After you convert it, maybe WMM will have better luck with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:44 am 
la_tengo_como_burro wrote:
tried to play it using VLC and WINAMP and I can hear the sound but I cant see the video.

Very odd. I have played loads of km files on vlc and have never had a problem. It was actually the only open source program that would. You installed the mega codec pack? It should be trivial to do this.

Oh, also had to change the file extension to .mpg.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:31 am 
manicmike wrote:

Very odd. I have played loads of km files on vlc and have never had a problem. It was actually the only open source program that would. You installed the mega codec pack? It should be trivial to do this.

Oh, also had to change the file extension to .mpg.

Mike

It depends on what card you are using, his software encoding card is different the a 150/250 or other hardware encoding cards.

Memo - Corsair VS512MB533D2 512MB DDR2-533
Hard D - Hitachi T7K500 250GB Serial ATA
Wireless - Netgear wg311
Tuner Card - PVR-150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:43 am 
wmcvetty I am using an old pinnacle card which does not do hardware encoding (I think) . I am happy with the card it works just fine, it took me a whole lot of tweaking to get it too look as good as it looks now. The encoding is done by the box, and to play the NUV files on the windows computer I had to intall the DSMYTH (myth filters). To open the files in Adobe Premiere or Microsoft Movie Maker I had to rename the extension to mpg. Adobe premiere does a very crappy job editing the files, the audio does not sync well with the video, etc. I've been able to get Microsoft Movie Maker to edit the video as long as I don't do more than one video at a time. I have to edit one and then edit another and then join them. But the problem I am having now is that after the video gets encoded to WMV it turns upside down (inverted). I have uninstalled the mega codec pack, uninstalled DSMYTH and intalled it again and nothing,

Does anybody have any ideas? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:41 pm 
I'm having a similiar issue. I'm using a Hauppage 150, but I transcode my files to a smaller size. On file that aren't transcoded, they record as mpeg's and I can play those just fine in windows. However, after a transcode, they get a nuv extension and I can't seem to do anything with them. I tried DSMyth, but that didn't work(don't remember why).

Any ideas?