View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:48 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I'm going to study up on this torrent protocol to find out what makes a good seeder and what I'm doing wrong.

Please post whatever you find out.

I understand that there is something in the protocol that says your DL rate is dependent on your UL rate, but while I'm usually satisfied with my DL rate (sometimes 3-4M) I find it takes forever to reach acceptable share ratios. For example, I got R5F27 in 25 minutes, but after almost 3-1/2 days seeding I've only uploaded 1.42G (share ratio 2.36) Now, the KM torrent has a much better seed:peer ratio than I usually see so maybe that's part of my "problem".

I get remote initiated connections, so I know I'm reachable, but generally I have many more locally initiated connections than remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:36 am 
I setup my office system to seed overnight with a upload speed of 50KB/s. I'm up to about 700MB.

EPIA M1000 - 512MB, 40GB HD, Streamzap
KnoppMyth Folding Team Stats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:04 pm 
4 days -- 12.8G and still seeding!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 pm 
Thanks to everyone who's been seeding, the torrent downloads are more popular than ever! Nearly 900 ISOs have been downloaded through bittorrent so far. At this stage, it's more important than ever to keep seeding, because it helps to keep every seeder's upload speed down while keeping the downloader's download speed high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:30 pm 
I think it would be great to offer people the choice to make their KM box an automatic "seeder" for the current distro. Our KM boxes could be self-replicating in a way. The iso image wouldn't take much room on a typical HDTV system (HD shows are about 8G/hour). It could be an installation option like folding@home. A command line BT client wouldn't take much room and it could be "niced" so it wouldn't eat up much CPU when the box was being used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:32 am 
Human wrote:
At this stage, it's more important than ever to keep seeding...

I just brought up TorrentFlux on my file server. It's a dual-processor Linux box that is on 24/7 and has a fat pipe to my fiber connection. Any peers that come along now should get the full fire hose effect!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:15 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
4 days -- 12.8G and still seeding!

Dang! I have had mine seeding for 4 days and have only uploaded about 13 MB and .04 share :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:12 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
I just brought up TorrentFlux on my file server. It's a dual-processor Linux box that is on 24/7 and has a fat pipe to my fiber connection. Any peers that come along now should get the full fire hose effect!

Excellent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:13 am 
novellahub wrote:
Dang! I have had mine seeding for 4 days and have only uploaded about 13 MB and .04 share :(

Every bit (pun both intended and not) helps. Please keep seeding since 1) it isn't impacting you, and 2) it spreads the load amongst the other seeders to ensure that they aren't impacted either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:07 pm 
novellahub wrote:

Hey Joe - check your firewall/router settings and make sure your box is reachable from outside on the appropriate ports. Your pattern sounds like a closed firewall, resulting in stalled transfers. Which bittorrent client are you using? Maybe the wizards here can help you achieve sharing nirvana...

-- Also Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:47 pm 
Liv2Cod wrote:
novellahub wrote:

Hey Joe - check your firewall/router settings and make sure your box is reachable from outside on the appropriate ports. Your pattern sounds like a closed firewall, resulting in stalled transfers. Which bittorrent client are you using? Maybe the wizards here can help you achieve sharing nirvana...

-- Also Joe

I am using a D-Link DI-624 wireless router as my firewall. I know for sure I have not enabled any ports to the outside world.

I am using Ktorrent as the client being used on a PCLinuxOS box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:20 am 
There's your problem. You need to forward the TCP ports 6881-6999 to your bittorrent server box. Maybe you can make sure your DLink box has "UPNP" turned on (under "Tools" and "Misc."). Then make sure your ktorrent is configured to use UPNP to open its incoming ports for bittorrent traffic. (I've never used ktorrnet so I'm not sure how to do this or even if configuration is needed.) See this article about ports for bittorrent:

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/pee ... _ports.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:13 am 
I have enabled the ports on the D-Link router. I did not enable UPNP yet on the router (I had previous issues with network performance with this feature turned on after a firmware upgrade). I will try this tonight.

KTorrent was easy to see what ports it will use (You can customize the ports as well to different numbers). UPNP was enabled on the software as well. I have read some tips on the Ktorrent website and one of the tips was to enable UDP on port 444 as well as TCP on 6881-6999.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:41 am 
novellahub wrote:
KTorrent was easy to see what ports it will use (You can customize the ports as well to different numbers). UPNP was enabled on the software as well. I have read some tips on the Ktorrent website and one of the tips was to enable UDP on port 444 as well as TCP on 6881-6999.

It's worth mentioning that some ISPs may throttle or outright block the default BitTorrent ports 6881-6999. You might see increased performance if you pick some random port way up in the higher ranges. Just make sure you configure Ktorrent and your router to use the same range of ports.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:52 pm 
Since I began pushing the torrent a week ago Sunday, I've pushed about 24G of ISO file! And my seeder was even down for some portion of the middle. Now I have it on a server which is on all the time. I look at the amount of data sent through my firewall and I can see sometimes it gets up to 6M bytes/sec. Most of the time it's a lot less tho. Like now I have 5 peers and I'm only pushing about 100K bytes/sec total.

Go to page Previous  1, 2