All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:40 pm 
khrusher wrote:
Liv2Cod wrote:
P.S. You have no idea how hard it is to find a firewall/router that will sustain that speed!

We feel REAL bad for you ;)

Yeah, boody hoody hoo.... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 pm 
Hey, what did you end up using, Liv2Cod? It must be pretty robust.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:42 pm 
I got a single board computer with a VIA chip (EPIA) and loaded a copy of pfSense, an open-source firewall project. It's got great features and it is hard as nails (based on FreeBSD).

I'd like to move to 1G/1G but that opens the whole firewall question again, as my VIA board only goes up to about 150-200M.

Sigh, the problems I face... ;)

-- Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm 
Are you in an Internet2 test area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:38 pm 
Not as fancy as pfSense, but m0n0wall on a WRAP is a great small, rugged, fan-less, low power solution. I have multiple of these (mostly for business use) and they run solid around the clock. The newer ALIX boards may be better, but I don't have any experience with them yet. Either should handle your 15Mbps throughput with no problem.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:12 pm 
Cool :) Actually, my WRT54G running OpenWRT seems to be stable enough, but if I opt for the 20/20 service or 30/30 service, I'll remember that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:18 pm 
Yeah, the WRAP is a really nice platform. I used one of those for a long time before I upgraded to 100/100. The WRAP was good for 30-40M/sec. which is pretty darned good, I think. m0n0wall is a little more efficient than pfSense, or at least it used to be because of the version of FreeBSD they were based on. The newer version of FreeBSD gave up some efficiency, it seems.

I dunno if I'm in an Internet2 area. I'm just using plain old Internet 1 for now -- you know, the one Al Gore invented! ;)

-- Joe

P.S. pfSense is a fork of m0n0wall and the developers freely exchange code and ideas. It is a "good" fork because each distro has its use model and there is a need for both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:20 am 
Liv2Cod wrote:
Yeah, the WRAP is a really nice platform. I used one of those for a long time before I upgraded to 100/100. The WRAP was good for 30-40M/sec. which is pretty darned good, I think. m0n0wall is a little more efficient than pfSense, or at least it used to be because of the version of FreeBSD they were based on. The newer version of FreeBSD gave up some efficiency, it seems.

The WRAP board is end-of-life. The ALIX board is the replacement. People say the ALIX can do a solid 80Mbps+ with m0n0wall/pfSense. You would need to use the new version of m0n0wall with kernel support for the ALIX however.

Human, (just so you know) this setup is no where near as cheap as the OpenWRT. But, I like some of the features that I can't seem to find anywhere else (at least implemented as easy as m0n0wall is) plus I'm already trained with the interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:06 pm 
Another thing to consider when choosing a firewall is how many open connections it can handle simultaneously. When you host a torrent, you typically get hundreds or thousands of connections and most consumer-grade firewalls choke on the traffic. That's one of the strongest reasons to go with m0n0wall or pfSense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:27 pm 
Did anyone ever learn anything about Verizon being legally forced to open their firewire?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:25 pm 
Just giving this thread a bump... FiOS just came available in my neighborhood and I called them up and got a deal for 20/5 internet, TV ("Extreme HD" package) and home phone service for $109.99/mo. Sucky part is that I had to get their DVR to get that price or it would be $10/mo more. After I complained a little the operator knocked $10/mo off the package price, so I get it all for $99.99/mo. I'm not sure which version of the DVR I'm getting: the QIP7200 or QIP7216. Either way, does anyone have a working lircrc for these boxes? This and getting mythtv trunk running for HD-PVR support are my only stumbling blocks. I know I can make one with irrecord, but if someone has one, I'm not against taking that shortcut. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:28 pm 
I think that Verizon uses the same remote for all their Motorola boxes so you should be able to pick the 2500 and have Lirc work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:09 pm 
Big boy stan wrote:
I think that Verizon uses the same remote for all their Motorola boxes so you should be able to pick the 2500 and have Lirc work.

Thanks for that tip. I ended up just making a new file with irrecord. It was pretty painless once I realized I had to stop lirc first. ;)

Go to page Previous  1, 2