View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 pm 
I was trying to change my email address for the board, since I'm weeding out some of my older accounts, and I keep getting the reply that my address has been banned.

Am I doing something wrong?

I went to the profile page, entered the 'new' address (on gmail.com) and entered my board password. Click on submit.

Sorry....address has been banned. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:56 am 
Site Admin
Yes, nearly _all_ of the spam was coming from the gmail system by on account or another, I was trying to ban who*@gmail.com, but cesman just finally gave up and banned the whole gmail.com domain, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:05 am 
:?:

No one can have a gmail.com address??? This doesn't sound like a very polite limitation. Mmmmm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:25 am 
I read somewhere this week that spammers cracked the gmail captcha for registering new email addresses. So it's no surprise seeing spam from @gmail.com. Hopefully Google will fix it at some point.

EPIA M1000 - 512MB, 40GB HD, Streamzap
KnoppMyth Folding Team Stats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:24 pm 
larrybpsu wrote:
No one can have a gmail.com address???

Amusing, since the forum "Topic Reply Notification" come from a gmail.com address! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:21 am 
Can someone please reevaluate this policy? I'm losing my current ISP and email address. I'd *really* like to switch to my gmail account, which I use for most of my personal business. I don't want to get yet another email address.

Rather than blocking all gmail accounts, maybe the spam problem itself should be dealt with head on? At my company we use an anti-spam service. We've been using it for a year and it's worked incredibly well.

The way it works is like a giant filter in front of our email server. Basically this involved configuring our account on the anti-spam services' web application, then switching our mail server's DNS entries to point at it. Email flows into the service's email server first, where it's filtered as per our preferences, then the resulting non-spam email is let through to our server. This has dramatically reduced the wear and tear on our email server, which previously was getting over 20k spams a day.

Sure we could have used an open source filter, or a hardware spam firewall. But solving the spam problem is tricky and time consuming. We wanted to leave it up to an expert business partner. The solution has been inexpensive and completely reliable. I've been very happy with the decision.

If there's interest in this direction, PM me and I can provide the spam filter company's contact information.

Allen Cronce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Admin
acronce wrote:
Can someone please reevaluate this policy?
No. This has nothing to do with email. Rather false accounts are created and spam is them posted on the board. The best thing to do if you want to use an @gmail.com is to contact me and make arrangements so this can be done in real time. The best way to do that is to try and catch me in IRC or perhaps chat on gmail.com.