View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:03 pm 
Gnarl wrote:
Not sure how accurate this is. I put my specs in and it said I need a 550W and it runs fine off a 380 with more hard drives then I put in the options.

It's definately not as detailed as the calc posted by jimdoc a few responses back. I can't vouch for the accuracy of any calcs, but it's at least a starting point for anyone who's looking. When you think about it, wouldn't be in newegg's best interest to make you think you need a beefier power supply than you actually do? Generally, a higher wattage ps costs more money. Again, take all these calcs with a grain of salt. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:48 pm 
In my opinion, the best way to get a reduction in electrical usage would be to put the front ends and backends to sleep (S3 which uses about 10watts) while not being watched or recording. I do not have this set up and am not even sure if all the following features are currently possible with my hardware but here is my "vision" which I hope to try out.

My current setup has a combined BE/FE in the living room with a FE also in the bedroom. The bedroom FE should work by pressing the power button on the remote to put it to sleep and wake it up. A solution for this was detailed at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=675455
The BE/FE should work the same way but also make use of the ACPI wakeup for next recording. It would also be useful to have the system go to sleep after a period of inactivity in case someone left it on. It would also need to wakeup on a network signal from the bedroom FE.

Just my 2 cents as I think there is much to be gained by just turing the system off when not in use. If you are buying new hardware (MB and CPU), take a look for stability of S3 sleep.

Go to page Previous  1, 2