View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 am 
HDHomerun seems to be having problems with power supply's.
    SiliconDust is offering replacements for the SW20-S050-15 power adapter shown.

A failing power adapter may result in one or more of the following symptoms:

* Flashing power light on the HDHomeRun or failure to power on.
    * Flashing red light on power adapter.
    * Zero signal-to-noise quality (snq) on all channels.

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/power

TVBox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:55 pm 
Silicondust wrote:
You're all done.

The new power adapter should arrive in 3-5 days.

They just ask for your Device ID and a shipping address. Registering for the replacement is pretty painless.

I wonder what the problem is? I presume it is too little power available; If it were too much power they'd have the "Unplug it before your house burns down" warnings that anyone with a recalled X-Box or Dell notebook would remember...

Come to think of it, I seem to buy a lot of sh*t with defective power supplies... :roll:

Thanks for the heads up!!!
UPDATE: The new Power Supply arrived 7-5. Given the Fourth of July holiday, it was a more than acceptable timeliness effort. The new unit has the same ratings, but is larger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:23 am 
SiliconDust HDHR Power Supply falure
You would have though that because I started this post I would have sent off for a new power supply but I didn't.

About a week before there where visible signs of power supply problem I started to get front end freezes that sometimes result in a black screen, almost like video card problems. These seem random and didn't make any difference whether HDHR was being accessed or not. A frontend reboot brought it out of it. Some of the recordings from the HDHR had quite a bit of pixeling.

At about two days before tuner 0 would record OK but tuner 1 would have a black screen with the signal meter across the bottom reading 100%

At about one days before tuner 0 and tuner 1 would have a black screen with the signal meter across the bottom reading 100%. Checking the voltage of the power supply produced 5.1 volts which is right on the money. This was no load measurement. Dropping all the tuners and reloading didn't change any thing.

Day zero was the appearance of a dimple in the plastic on the bottom right hand side if you are facing the LED.

I bit the bullet and ordered the New and Improved Wall Wart. It showed up in three days which was very quick. The power supply never did fail 100%. Heat dimple was caused from current leakage in a capacitor. Both units where switching power supply's. The PS was eight months old at time failure.

It is nice to see SiliconDust stand behind their product with a replacement. The quick shipping that both jmckeown2 and I had received makes me believe that they are taking our problems seriously.

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:45 pm 
As a follow up to the previous post the free replacement power supply that SiliconDust provided was a Weihai Power Model HAS01005U-D1. This power supply lasted 21 months before failure.

Contacted SiliconDust and had them send out another one. ($15.00 including shipping) The latest and greatest is a Fairway Electronics Model WRG10F-05A
with all the same electrical specs but I see this on has a Efficiency Level rating of IV.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prod_development/downloads/efficiency_challenge.pdf
chart seems to be missing parameters explanations to calculate efficiency.

This new adapter is half the physical volume of the old one and has me wondering how long this one will last? I have four tuners in the system and the HDHR is the last two in the priority so it doesn't get a lot of hours on it. The HDHR weak link is the power supply.
#1 8 months before failure
#2 21 months before failure
#3 To be determined.

TVBox