already got a Netflix account, so there's no incremental
recurring cost.

Anybody tried out with the Roku player?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:59 pm 
After watching a few things via Netflix streaming service using
Windows Media Player, I went ahead and ordered the Roku set-top
box.

Using WMP I've been pretty impressed with the video quality.
You can see compression artifacts in some scenes if you look
for them, but they're not intrusive at all. It's definitely
higher quality than most standard-def TV signals (even ATSC
SD), but not quite as good as DVD with a good upscaler.

Some people complain that the selection of titles isn't good
(only about 10% of Netflix titles are available), and that's
true if all you want to watch is are latest big-studio
releases. If you're a little more eclectic in your tastes,
there's plenty to choose from, and it will presumably get
better over time.

The Roku box came today, so hopefully I can have it up and
running soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:03 pm 
Grant_Edwards wrote:
I went ahead and ordered the Roku set-top box.

Now that you have had it a while.. what do you think? I'm thinking about getting the "Roku HD Player".. I've still got some great old technology that support component connections, and not HDMI.

I've been on NetFlix for a couple of months. been using the streaming video on the Nintendo Wii. The Roku HD Player seems like the perfect "stand in replacement" .. and I don't have to move the Wii around from set to set. (the Wii only does composite video, but other than that.. such as both supporting wi/fi .. seems like a convenient way to stream.

Of course, if the MythBox could take the NetFlix stream directly.. that would be a sweet potato pie!

Cheers! :D

Hauppauge PVR-350, IR Blaster, Comcast Digital Cable
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/KnoppMyth/
KnoppMyth R5F27 >> R5.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:20 pm 
Earlier this year I found myself with an extra windows laptop with a bad screen. I was able to download a copy of PlayOn (free for 30 days or something), which connects to Netflix, CBS and a bunch on online content. PlayOn can then bounce the stream to my mythbox FEs running xbmc.

It worked and worked well, but I found bouncing from xbmc and mythtv fe too cumbersome to gain WAF even when I mapped the switch of FEs to a remote button. I'm now without this laptop as the HDD died and I'm also not sure of the current stability of xbmc for 6.03

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:32 pm 
Too Many Secrets wrote:
It worked and worked well, but I found bouncing from xbmc and mythtv fe too cumbersome to gain WAF even when I mapped the switch of FEs to a remote button.

Cool.. but, as you say cumbersome. As a practical approach, the [ wi/fi >> wii >> tv ] .. can do NetFlix & YouTube just fine and easy (I just have not tried anything else). It would be nice if Linux/MythTV could become the "universal translator" for all digital media. (ok, Star Trek reference aside.) .. even stream media content to Yeoman Rand's iPad. (ok, now, I have gone too far.. where no man has.. ) That would be really cool!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:46 pm 
BluesBrian wrote:
Too Many Secrets wrote:
It worked and worked well, but I found bouncing from xbmc and mythtv fe too cumbersome to gain WAF even when I mapped the switch of FEs to a remote button.

Cool.. but, as you say cumbersome. As a practical approach, the [ wi/fi >> wii >> tv ] .. can do NetFlix & YouTube just fine and easy (I just have not tried anything else). It would be nice if Linux/MythTV could become the "universal translator" for all digital media. (ok, Star Trek reference aside.) .. even stream media content to Yeoman Rand's iPad. (ok, now, I have gone too far.. where no man has.. ) That would be really cool!

Cheers!

I have a ton of problems streaming Netflix on our Wii. I keep getting constant error 20100s. The IP connection is fine, I browse the web on the Wii, but it just won't get to the video selection screen. Well it does work occasionally, but not enough times to allow us to use it.

I really have high hopes for Boxee Box if it can play myth recordings off of the backend and stream Netflix.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:56 pm 
mlbuser wrote:
I have a ton of problems streaming Netflix on our Wii. I keep getting constant error 20100s.

Interesting. I can't say that I have ever seen that. I do get a bit of buffering, but it's not too painful (seems like I get more buffering on the nintendo video ads & trailers than on NetFlix streams.)
There is a bunch of web-surfing that I won't do on the Wii, as it can be dedious. In & out of email or facebook .. ok. The "stupid facebook game", Kingdoms of Camelot attempts to launch, then fails & locks up the Wii.

Cheers!

Netflix streaming suggestion: "It might get Loud" with Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin), David "The Edge" Evans (of U2) and Jack White (of the White Stripes)... guitar heros gathering. cool, but can be a bit random.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:36 pm 
BluesBrian wrote:
Grant_Edwards wrote:
I went ahead and ordered the Roku set-top box.

Now that you have had it a while.. what do you think?
I'm still very happy with it. I think the video quality has improved
noticably since I initially got it. My network connection isn't rock
solid (I use a municipal WiFi system for network access), so there are
times when repeated shifting back and forth between quality levels is
annoying. One of these days I should bite the bullet and get DSL.
Still, I have friends with rock-solid DSL who still see glitchy
Netflix streaming, so I think some of the time Netflix's servers have
trouble keeping up.
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the "Roku HD Player".. I've still got some
great old technology that support component connections, and not HDMI.

The price for he "HD" has dropped from $100 to $70, so it's an even
better deal than when I bought one.

Quote:
I've been on NetFlix for a couple of months. been using the streaming
video on the Nintendo Wii. The Roku HD Player seems like the perfect
"stand in replacement" .. and I don't have to move the Wii around from
set to set. (the Wii only does composite video, but other than
that.. such as both supporting wi/fi .. seems like a convenient way to
stream.

I'm currently using a wired connection instead of wireless, but I
haven't been able to notice any difference. I think the stream tops out at
1.5-2.0 Gbps, so even 802.11G is plenty good enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:46 pm 
Thanks!
So, I picked one up at Amazon with a quality "component video" cable. Very nice image. I attempted to use it at the far end of the house from my wi/fi access point, and it couldn't make it. Now, I'm at the wi/fi end, and it gets a good solid signal. Very little buffering. (I'm sure there's a "time-of-day" factor in that.) I see NetFlix just improving from here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:40 pm 
Well since boxee box isn't quite there yet for me I went ahead and got a Roku XD. It was quite finicky setting up the wired connection, I had to switch back and forth between wired and wireless to confuse it enough to use my wired connection. My wired connection is a little funky perhaps, as I use MOCA adapters, but its quite solid throughout the house so I don't know what the initial trouble was.

Anyway I have found that netflix can work really well and 720P streaming looks great. I do occasionally get the dreaded 'checking network connection' dialog popping up more than I care for. When this happens the key part for me was not to retry the connection, but go back to the main menu and pick another channel (like NASA). That gets the Roku thinking the connection is fine again and then I switch back to Netflix.

I believe the issue is Netflix, perhaps its getting behind in responding to my box so the Roku gives up on it. Don't really know, but as long as it doesn't happen too often I'll keep the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm 
mlbuser wrote:
.. got a Roku XD.

COOL. I've got the "Roku HD", entry level unit. It has connections for composite, component and HDMI hookup. (My analog Sony Wega has component inputs.)

mlbuser wrote:
.. I have found that netflix can work really well and 720P streaming looks great.

That's cool.. I'm connecting my HD verision to older analog set.. maybe the CRT screen will last forever! :o What's "720P"? .. just kidding! The Roku XD says it supports 1080p .. the Roku HD doesn't say! :oops:

when I pick a program.. it usually four "four quality dots" for several seconds to get the buffer primed... that's pretty decent quality. Once, the system was hammered.. it stopped the buffering and restarted with "two quality dots" .. yikes.. lots of missing screen frames... LOL. really poor.. and since I was watching some good "car action" on "Top Gear (UK)" .. I just shut it down, to try again later. .. After all, I wanna see every frame where the Hamster rescues Oliver.

Brings me to the question: Does the Roku XD version do program storage of any kind? ... I think that's the next step... have a box download your programs that are in your Netflix queue into offline storage for later play... it could download in off hours.

mlbuser wrote:
.. the dreaded 'checking network connection' dialog popping up more than I care for.

I have seen that too... but not lately.

mlbuser wrote:
.. When this happens the key part for me was not to retry the connection, but go back to the main menu and pick another channel (like NASA). That gets the Roku thinking the connection is fine again and then I switch back to Netflix.

I like the strategy.. since I think you can get that even with the stream is flooded.. i.e. busy time of day or something at the server.. The kicker is that the Roku box just assumes that it's the connection .. i.e. your end. ... kinda like calling the most hated internet service provider that just resumes that you're the idiot, and won't admit that their server is hosed. .. Their solution... reboot your computer.

Again.. I don't see this often.. <whew>

mlbuser wrote:
.. I believe the issue is Netflix, perhaps its getting behind in responding to my box so the Roku gives up on it. Don't really know, but as long as it doesn't happen too often I'll keep the box.

Like the good-old AOL early-days.. I think the demand is outstripping the available bandwidth at certain times of day.. I hope the Netflix is keen to the problem and will keep up on it as the demand explodes!

Netflix just came out with a "zero-disk" pricing option... streaming only. There will be demand... hmmm .. $8 bucks per month or $40 for cable/satellite. no brainer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 pm 
They are eating a ton of bandwidth. I don't think $8 will last vs $40. No way the cable (or content) companies are going to allow that to continue. I plan on enjoying it while it lasts, but don't expect more than a couple of years of 'cheap' viewing.

Maybe by that time I'll be able to give up the habit
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:41 pm 
mlbuser wrote:
No way the cable (or content) companies are going to allow that to continue.

Comcast is already "metering" download amounts, and are calling it a "service". Funny that existing "unlimited phone data plans" will continue to be honored by the wireless phone companies .. but you can't get a new plan .. and don't think of making any changes to your plan... but the cable company apparently doesn't have to honor older accounts that had unrestricted downloads.

mlbuser wrote:
.. enjoying it while it lasts, but don't expect more than a couple of years of 'cheap' viewing.

Yep! ... then we might just turn off the TV. :)