View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:20 pm 
I wa just reading a forum post about Virtualisation and it piked my interest. Whilst I am quite adapt with computers I would like to meet similar minded people.

I currently run a server and Myth box separate and my power bill is starting to grow. I would like to get together with others to discuss ways to set things up and just talk computers in general. If you would like to get involved with this please PM me or drop a reply and I will PM you to get in contact with you.

Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 am 
141 views and I have only received 1 PM and that was from a guy in Melbourne.

I know the stereo type of a Geek computer nerd is that they sit behind a computer and eat pizza and drink coke all the time. Only venturing outside when they need to get more supplies and to get a little bit of Vitamin D.

If this doesn't interest you please could you post to the thread as to why it would not be practical to you, eg. Couldn't give a toss, wife won't let me, can't drive, etc. That way at least that way I will have a better understanding of why people are not interested and then I will probably drop it, if the reasons are valid enough.

Thanks for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 am 
I have friends in Brisbane and will get back there one day, but for now airfare for four to Oz is a bit pricey. :) Hope you're able to find some folks who can meet up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:06 am 
I personally hadn't seen the post when you first wrote it but have now. Perhaps a virtual session might be of interest. Say a conference call structured as free form to discuss what has been done and allow others to ask questions?

I'm happy to share my knowledge on the subject and I have virtualized all of my 24/7 apps including KM5.5.

Another option would be to create an open "Energy Saving HOW-TO" on the wiki where we can document various ways of saving power in our solutions. This would include virtualization, suspend to RAM for front ends, Set top box power reduction solutions (Cisco's Scientific Atlanta STBs are so incredibly power hungry it is sickening), etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:35 pm 
I'd love to go back to Brizzy, I had an excellent time there last year with family going to the theme parks. (I know, they're on the Gold Coast but it's only a half hour drive). Unfortunately, time and money constraints are stopping us from going back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 8:52 pm 
Thanks all for replying, it is funny, we have had another 45 views and only got 3 comments, I really know how to get those chins wagging :P

I like your idea christ in that there may be other who could be interested in this subject and perhaps using the IRC channel through LinHES we could have this conversation. I have been in there a few times looking for some help and find that it is like a ghost town. Other times we Cecil has advertised when there is a "party" in there they come out of the word work for it.

I will think about the suggestions and may seek Cecils permission to use the channel and if it is a goa I will create a new thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:34 pm 
Just how many people do you think there are in Brisbane that regularly read all posts in the forum? And further more, how many of those (assuming there is more than just yourself) have a specific interest in virtualisation? And how many of those have the time/inclination to spare the time for a real-world meet.

Even if there were a heap of people using knoppmyth in Brisbane, many (probably most) of them would only consult the forum if they had a problem and they would be doing targetted searches and would not even see your post.

I dont want to discourage you, but I agree with christ that if you open it up to everyone using a virtual meet, you are more likely to get some interest. I would like to have regular meets in #linhes to discuss the way forward with linhes development. Perhaps for the next IIRC we should contribute agenda items for discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 am 
I personally know of two or three users that live in Brisbane and yes Greg you are right, just trying to find like minded people to help me get my head around a few thoughts.

I have been to the iirc channel a couple of times and found no one there, I think the suggestion of planning a time and possible agenda would be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm 
Pop in at 9pm tonight (8:30 sa time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 pm 
I would love to, but I have a chamber of commerce meeting tonight, O no can do. The other thing is I really need to talk to someone as I have a problem with my mythbox at the moment.