View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:53 am 
My google-fu has failed to produce an answer to this question, so I thought I'd ask this knowledgeable community.

I recently visited my parents who purchased a digital converter box last year, and have been using it to receive OTA broadcasts. Very often, on one particular channel (local NBC I believe), they will see strange text symbols and characters pop up on the screen. At first I assumed it was just closed captioning that got messed up, but I don't think it is.

The characters are typically the letters "eth" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eth, "thorn" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorn_%28letter%29and sometimes other symbols. I think I've also seen music note characters. The color is usually white, but sometimes purple, yellow, and red. They appear in various places on the screen, but usually on the left side of the screen in a black rectangular box, or in the lower left side of the screen, again in the same sort of box.

I don't know whether these are being shown as a result of the particular converter box they are using, the TV (a Sony CRT), the station, or some combination of those. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they see it on their other Panasonic TV, which uses the same type of box; I'll have to ask.

Anyone have any clue as to what these are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:46 am 
Have you checked the connections and configuration? maybe there's an error there. Better to checked it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:23 pm 
Since you live in Arlington, VA the issue is obvious: Government mind control or subliminal messages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:21 pm 
Interesting does the digital converter box support multiple languages? Those seem to be pretty odd letters to show up. Maybe the FBI was activating sleeper agents