View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Comcast vs Streaming
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:26 pm 
So, Comcast is starting the transition to all digital on their lines, and the time comes to ask, "Is it worth it?"

I have an HDHomeRun, so that will pick up the unencrypted stuff, but from reading of other people's travails, eventually they will encrypt everything. As it is now, Comcast has been shuffling around their QAM offerings. Two or three times a year, I've had to go searching around, edit the databases with new frequencies, XML IDs, etc. That is, after I've missed a week or two worth of recordings because I'm always behind on my watching TV :o.

For others that have gone through this transition, in the end, is it worth the hassle? If I have to get IRBlasters and stuff, I could just go satellite.

The alternative is Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc. I'd love to stick it to Comcast and go DSL, but the offerings here top out like 3 Mbps (vs 10 with Comcast). Is that sufficient to stream to a couple rooms simultaneously? Does Netflix have a way to set up a list different lists (one for me and the wife, one for the kid)? I guess Hulu would be easier to set up a second account, but I'm not sure how many cartoons and stuff they have for kids.

Decisions, decisions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:46 pm 
I am in much the same boat. I am leaning towards Directv because you can control them via a special USB cable. From there I will record the coax output with my PVR250s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:16 pm 
If I was in the same boat as the OP, I would be inclined to stick with comcast, esp. as you have a nice HDHomerun tuner which would be useless with any other service. My guess is there'd be a lot of work in switching to another service, possibly a ton of work....

However in my case I currently have AT&T. I use an IRblaster to control the STB & record via svideo. Neighbor across the street has comcast, he get local channels unencrypted & some in HD which appeals to me. I looked into it and for the same money I can get comcast tv/phone/internet for slightly less than uverse but with double the internet speed (everything else is about equal). Unlike the OP, my neighbor's channels unencrypted comcast channels haven't changed since they encrypted the expanded basic channels about a year ago or so. Even then the unencrypted channels didn't change so I'm not too worried about that.

I'm happy with uverse but HD network channels & double the internet speed sounds like it could be worth it - any thoughts?

Paul

PS - I have a QAM tuner card already, KWorld 115, had it working with comcast a few years ago.