View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:08 am 
After nearly seven years as a happy KM/LH user, I decided a few days ago to cut the cord and build up my own mythtv boxes running pure Arch Linux. I want to thank all the many helpful users in here who have taught me most of what I know about Linux over that time period including folks like tjc, james, Xsecrets, Human, and the many others too numerous to name. I want to explicitly thank cesman for his creation of this fantastically newbie friendly, feature rich, and unique distro. You and the dev-team have truly have enabled mythtv for the masses and created the best mythtv-centric distro on the planet. Mythbuntu has nothing on LinHES.

I like to think that I've given back to the community over the years. I just looked at the user list and as of 19-Dec, I see that I have am #8 (by posts). I have written many HOWTO guides (links to which you can still find in this indexed sticky), authored/contributed to many KMwiki pages, recommended several KM/LH-friendly hardware-based solutions, logged many bugs/feature requests, and responded to many newbie posts over that time as well - of which gives me a good feeling and sense of community as part of the LinHES community albeit not a programmer or developer per-say.

I've come a long way since hitting "submit" on my very first post here some seven years ago. A serendipitous and welcomed side-effect of running the then KM is the accumulation of enough knowledge and experience to free me from years of Micro$oft bondage as pseudo-blogged about a little over two years ago here and here back when the then KM project was debian-based. After about four months on Debian/Ubuntu as my primary desktop at home, I found that I needed more frequent updates of packages about the same time KM transitioned to an Arch-based platform. My most recent evolution distro-wise was written about here when I too made the switch to Arch which is offers users the bleeding edge properties of Gentoo without the need to build up everything from source yet retaining a minimalistic system. Anyway, none of our home PCs run Windows anymore except virtually via qemu at tax time (turbo tax is the only software I now pay for) :p Anyway, don't worry, I'm not leaving. The LH community is still near and dear to my heart and I plan to regularly peruse the LH forums as a "senior" member of the LH community.

Thanks again, Merry Xmas and happy 2011 to all!

Last edited by graysky on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:08 pm 
Graysky,
You have definitely contributed much to this community and I hope you continue to do so.

I'm sure you have good reason to go the route that you have but have you also considered joining the dev team to put some of your ideas in to practice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:23 pm 
christ wrote:
Graysky,
You have definitely contributed much to this community and I hope you continue to do so.

I'm sure you have good reason to go the route that you have but have you also considered joining the dev team to put some of your ideas in to practice?

I'm no developer... setting up a box like this yourself really takes all the mystery out of it when compared to the wonderfully simple Mythvantage interface LH uses. I honestly became a bit frustrated with the deveations to 'The Arch Way' that LH employ -- I know that LH is not Arch and that statement is in no way meant to criticize LH. This coupled with my need/desire to have the latest versions of software on the boxes pushed me over the edge I guess. It was fun actually and it's also nice to have things setup exactly how I want them to be setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:27 pm 
You're welcome. I hope the fish was tasty!

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:18 pm 
You have helped me many times graysky over my 4 year journey with mythtv. Thank you for all of your posts.

PS I looked up my "senority" how the heck am I 54th out of nearly 30,000! I talk too much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:14 pm 
graysky,

I don't think you'll abandon the KM forum, will ya??

I doubt it.

Just like you, I've built a couple of Myth systems from a Slackware base, only because I've used Slackware since the 90's, and it's the only Linux system that I really understand at the script level.

KM and LinHES got me started with the DVR stuff in '06, and allowed me to use a tuner card that I bought back in '98 and it collected dust for a LONG time. The old Hauppauge WinTV card still works, but all of the analog TV stations have gone away. :( I can still use it to transfer my old Time-Life Benny Hill VHS tapes to digital! :)

KnoppMyth got me hooked, and I have keep up on what's happening. Cecil and the gang keep making it better and easier for the novice user.

If I can help...I will. HERE. I'm more of a hardware person than software...so I'll focus my energy there.

Enjoy and remember your roots!

--

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 pm 
Graysky,

Apologies my reply was short before... I'd like to thank you for being a valued part of the community for so long! I'm happy to know that I was able to have an affect on your growth.

Cecil

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:19 pm 
graysky wrote:
I want to explicitly thank cesman for his creation of this fantastically newbie friendly, feature rich, and unique distro. You and the dev-team have truly have enabled mythtv for the masses and created the best mythtv-centric distro on the planet

Sorry for the old bump and semi-hijack, but I really wanted to give a thanks, and the OP said it well already. So I will just say, +1000000 to the above!

It wasn't until I actually tried to setup MythTV on my own (i.e. without a Myth-centric distro) that I got a taste of the sheer amount of work you guys must put in maintaining LinHES. I started working on my own setup in January of last year, and only this week finally was confident enough that all the issues were resolved to the point where I could move to it full-time. And that's using all the knowledge I had from this distro. I don't know if I ever would have got a Myth box working at all without KM/LH.

So again, huge thanks. Even though the "appliance" concept of LinHES didn't work out for me personally, I'd still recommend it in a split-second to anyone who wanted to build their own DVR PC.

P.S. Also thanks to the OP, graysky, who I see is still around... I've used a few of your guides over the last week alone to help fine-tune my new system. Even though it's Fedora 14, the info in them was still really useful!