View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 am 
Hi all,

I'm going to the U.S. next week and need to know a bit about getting a SIM card for my 'phone. The item is completely compatible: It's an AT&T version Google Nexus One.

Info on data plans would be really useful too. I'll be looping around Texas -> Chicago -> Florida -> Texas if all goes well.

Thanks

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:56 pm 
Mike, the only carriers I know of that do GSM in the US are AT&T and T-Mobile. T-Mobile coverage is terrible. AT&T has a pre-paid service -- don't know the rates, but my guess is that you can get what you need at any RadioShack or Best Buy.

In my opinion the best option is to use Boost Mobile. They run on the Sprint Network. You'll need to buy a new phone because it isn't GSM, but the pre-paid rate is a straight 10-cents a minute or $50/month for unlimited domestic calling. (Actually, it's $50 for unlimited voice, texting & data). Coverage is good and my wife and daughter both use them. They run 2 different networks -- my experience is that the CDMA network has somewhat better coverage than the IDEN network (the old NexTel network).

You can get a phone at Radioshack or Best Buy.

Hope this helps!

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:13 am 
Mike, if you plan to go down the path of using a second phone with Boost Mobile, they have a simple flip phone on sale for US$29.99. If you want a full Android smartphone, my wife and brother use the Samsung Prevail. It costs US$180.

Marc

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:52 pm 
I use Sprint so this is not an endorsement.
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone- ... .svl=title

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:56 pm 
Thanks guys,

I looked at the AT&T plans as preferable because I'd still be able to use my Google 'phone and have contacts, Calendar etc there. That cheap flip 'phone is incredibly good value though.

Luckily (???) my flights were cancelled and I saw this. I'll be in LA Saturday morning and Dallas in the afternoon - fingers are crossed. Will get the AT&T SIM and my GF can get the cheap flip 'phone (there: All solutions useful ;-) )

Thanks again, and PM me if you want to meet up: Driving Dallas to Chicago in the coming week or two.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 am 
That's one heck of a drive. Enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 am 
Glad we were able to help! That is a long drive. I'm in Northern CA near San Francisco, so I don't think we will be able to connect. Cecil is down in LA -- don't know how long your layover is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:07 pm 
marc.aronson wrote:
Glad we were able to help! That is a long drive. I'm in Northern CA near San Francisco, so I don't think we will be able to connect. Cecil is down in LA -- don't know how long your layover is...

Qantas cancelled the LA flight, so I'm at work again today :-(

Now leaving Monday and going straight into Texas (I won't drink their tea but the car might be tempted)

Yes, it's a long drive, but five weeks is a long time to do it in and I like driving. Planning to go back via the East coast (incl. Boston, NYC), making it as far as Florida if realistic (probably be truly sick of driving by then and shortcut back to Dallas).
Writing about it makes it seem like it will actually happen this time.

I must have done something to really upset Vulcan, but Monday looks clear of volcanic ash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:09 am 
As much as it must be a pain that they keep canceling the flights, it seems like the right choice given the volcanic ash. Hope things clear up so that you can have a safe flight soon, and if you decide to hit the San Francisco area on one of your trips, let me know and we'll meet up!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:00 am 
Made it on Monday. Now in Memphis ('til tomorrow) . Warning for other tourists is AT&T detect if you have a smart phone and disable its ability to use their "unlimited data". They force you to buy the data again, charging more.
Disappointed is an understatement.
Other than that and the heat, loving this place. Added y'all to my vocabulary and look forward to setting off loads of fireworks tonight!
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:03 am 
marc.aronson wrote:
As much as it must be a pain that they keep canceling the flights, it seems like the right choice given the volcanic ash. Hope things clear up so that you can have a safe flight soon, and if you decide to hit the San Francisco area on one of your trips, let me know and we'll meet up!

yes you're right of course Marc. Qantas were very good. Won't be going to SF this time but want to visit. This means another trip next year :-)