View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Bum Hard Drive
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:19 pm 
My friend dropped her portable hard drive and now it won't show up in windows. This is what it sounds like. http://youtu.be/T29yGO4DBlg It's a Western Digital WDBABV0010BBK-00.
Windows recognizes it as a hard drive and loads the drivers. It just doesn't know what's on the drive. I tried running Spin-rite but Spin-rite has a hard stop and an error code everytime I try and run it. It says Error Code 6db. The odd thing is that this drive only has a USB input no SATA. There are are a couple of websites that show how to solder on some wires to make a SATA connection but I'm not that desperate yet. Of course this has the bridal shower pictures and the cruise pictures and somebody's baby pictures and this is the only copy!!!! (facepalm DOH!).

So here is the $400 question
Do you recognize the sound?
Is it a spindle, head, or controller card problem?
Do you know of a hard drive repair company that won't gouge my friend?

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Bum Hard Drive
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:10 am 
That is a bummer... I suggest a couple of things but they are a last resort and I cannot promise anything - YMMV. First, take the hard drive out of the case. It is going to be a regular WD hard drive with a SATA connection. Try connecting it to a spare SATA port in a computer to see if it is recognized and accessible. If that doesn't work (this is going to sound weird but we do this all the time and have about a 60% success rate...) - put the drive in a freezer for about 15 minutes and try it again. If that works you are only going to have about 15 minutes of uptime so you will have to copy off fast (this works when the bearings have been damaged).

Good luck.

Post subject: Re: Bum Hard Drive
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:04 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions I tried both and neither one worked. I actually went so far as to completely freeze the drive, and WD is building these odd shaped external drives that only have a usb header on the control board. It's almost the sames size as a notebook HD but it's too tall.