View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 am 
Ethical/ legal question for my LinHES friends.
We only pay for cable internet
I plugged in a tv to the line last week and for some reason they turned basic cable back on.
Morally I realize that stealing is wrong and I'm not paying for cable, but Cable companies aren't people and they have no problem robbing people blind month after month.
Legally what are my responsibilities?
Do I have to report to Brighthouse Cable that they sending me signal?
Should I plug in to the signal they are giving me for free?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:42 am 
I think you probably know the answer to your question. Cable companies exist to sell you TV programming and that is how they make their money. Probably the equivalent to seeing someone drop $20 on the ground in front of you and picking it up and keeping it. I would guess that there is nothing illegal with what you are suggesting but it certainly is not moral. Just one man's opinion.

Are you planning to go 100% OTA?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:39 am 
I have been OTA for 2 years now. Plus Netflix. I happen to get a clear shot east to the towers and I can pick up most of the channels and only have real trouble with a VHF freq NBC channel and a Qubo channel with a weak transmitter.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:47 pm 
Wow. I envy your freedom. Unfortunately ESPN and local Comcast sports net has me locked up. Plus the wife's reality shows.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:50 am 
A few years ago when I had Charter cable internet the basic cable TV fee was something like $13.95/month. if you wanted cable internet without basic cable TV they charged you an "access fee" or something like that. Guess what? It was $13.95 so I was paying for it either way. I suspect they can't block the basic channels and they are hitting you with the fee anyway. I know my parent's internet worked the same way with Roadrunner. It won't matter as of 4/15/2013 in my area because they are going to 100% encrypted digital cable so you'll have to pay for any tuner you use in my area.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:34 pm 
I'm on the opposite side of this. When Comcast started being complete ****s and encrypting everything including the OTA must carry channels, I said to heck with them, bought a good antenna and switched over to it 100%. On the other hand if you try to get their internet service a-la-carte, they actually charge you *MORE* than if you bundle it with the minimal cable offering. As a result I'm paying for a so called "service" that I don't use because their pricing is upside down.

When the cable modem starts getting seriously out of date I'll probably look at switching over to FiOS.