View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:18 pm 
Human wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for the replies! I'll give a summary response....

Re: NAS boxes - We hadn't considered using NAS boxes for MythTV applications, but I can see how that would work under certain conditions. Again it's a question of price. Where would you rather spend the $N you have to spend on a setup...

Re: HDTV over ethernet - I did some quick checking. Looks like the most bandwidth-heavy HDTV format (1080i) uses between 19Mbps and 25Mbps (c.f. http://videosystems.com/mag/video_hdv_sweet_spot/ ). So I suppose if your network could support that, you could indeed stream HDTV from a backend box to a frontend box without much need to buffer. (You may still want to buffer anyway to avoid hiccups, unless you've implemented QOS on your LAN.)

FWIW, I check into RAID-5 NAS products from time to time. I've stumbled upon one that mythic.tv might want to consider carrying or perhaps integrating into bundling: Infrant's ReadyNAS 600.

Bare, the device supports up to four SATA drives, NFS/SMB/AFP, 2TB max volume size (currently - based on ext3 32-bit CPU limitations in the embedded linux version they run), gigabit ethernet (25MBps READ/8-12MBps write for large files), and a street price point of ~$600. It appears to be the slickest Home/SoHo NAS unit I've seen so far, bar none.

AND, they seem keen on integrating streaming technologies into the box as well. They've already signed up momitsu as a distributor w/ a modified firmware for streaming to momitsu's "network DVD player". They're also slated to include slimserver streaming in july 15th's firmware update *in response to queries on their support board*.

http://www.infrant.com/

After reading all of the PDF files as well as customer comments on their support board, I really do get the feeling they've made a very solid product.

-brendan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:05 pm 
brendan wrote:
FWIW, I check into RAID-5 NAS products from time to time. I've stumbled upon one that mythic.tv might want to consider carrying or perhaps integrating into bundling: Infrant's ReadyNAS 600.
[...]
-brendan

Thanks, Brendan! I don't know how I missed this reply until now, but this information is much appreciated. We'll check into Infrant's offerings and see if they're feasible for us to carry.

Post subject: USB IR receivers?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:20 pm 
We have the opportunity to sell some USB IR receivers by StreamZap for $20, including shipping. Is there interest in us carrying such a product? It's necessary if you want to set up MythTV to use existing IR remotes, such as Tivo remotes.

If we get enough positive replies, we'll get some in stock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:47 am 
What about some IR Blasters? I need a USB one since my HTPC (Asus Digimatrix) doesn't have any Serial ports. It looked like the Tira 2.1 is supported by Lirc (not sure about MythTV) but the price I found for it so far was 49 dollars from http://www.home-electro.com/

Not 100% sure this will work with MythTV or not, but it's definitely something you guys should be selling!

Slaapliedje

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:41 am 
Hi Human,

How easy is it to set up an existing remote for use with the IR Reciever? If it is relatively easy, that would be a great product! I still need to get a remote for my box, but if all I need is a reciever, I'd get that!

~Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:27 am 
slaapliedje wrote:
What about some IR Blasters? I need a USB one

Thanks for the suggestion! We'll look into it. A dual receiver / blaster would be very convenient for some people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:31 am 
mbelly wrote:
How easy is it to set up an existing remote for use with the IR Reciever?

I just used my Tivo Series 2 remote with it :) All I had to do was find a good /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc It should work with any remote that way.

In the short term, you'd need to plug in the StreamZap USB IR receiver, run lirc-reconfig.sh (if it wasn't already run) and then copy your chosen lircd.conf and lircrc to the paths I mentioned above. In the long term, once more people send me their config files for different remotes, I can set up lirc-reconfig.sh to install them from a menu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:43 pm 
Quote:
All I had to do was find a good /etc/lirc/lircd.conf

Its easy to create a lircd.conf on your own....use irrecord to capture the output signals from the remote.

Post subject: New Item Offering Ideas?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:16 pm 
Human - I saw another thread in this forum (off-topic) talking about a mini-itx board that was like the EPIA M10000 but will do HD MPEG2 streams and even has MPEG4 acceleration - it's called the Commell LV-667T

Any chance Mythic.tv may be carrying these in the forseeable future? Also if you can get your hands on the Aria MicroATX cube case that would be cool too. These itx boards plus the aria make nice little diskless front-ends

I tried doing a froogle search but can only come up with a D version, not sure what the diff is.

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=406

Thanks,

AC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:11 am 
most all of the new mini-ITX boards have the hd capable mpeg4 decoding chip on them, the problem at the moment is that knoppmyth doesn't have driver support for that new chip. I admit once the drivers are in if these boards run stable this will be the ideal frontend system. I doubt you could get away with totally fanless, but certainly they generate less heat and use less power than either a PIV 3G+ or an A64 3.2+ and are smaller to boot. I personally would rather see a nice low profile case than a cube.

Xsecrets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:02 am 
acosgrove wrote:
Any chance Mythic.tv may be carrying these in the forseeable future? Also if you can get your hands on the Aria MicroATX cube case that would be cool too.

Unfortunately, we've been unable to get a profitable reseller price on any motherboard so far. Cases are almost as bad - margins a very very low, and most places don't want to help you make a profit unless you're buying thousands of cases at a time. We're not quite that big yet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:34 pm 
Human, how about a nice black surface-chroma-reflective screen for those of us with projectors. e.g. Sony ChromaView

Shipping to Australia would be a problem, though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:37 pm 
nigelpearson wrote:
Human, how about a nice black surface-chroma-reflective screen for those of us with projectors. e.g. Sony ChromaView

Shipping to Australia would be a problem, though :(

We will look into both!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:43 pm 
Is there such a thing as a hardware-accelerated HDTV card available (not just XvMC)? I've searched but haven't found one yet...

I know if we want to decode 1080i we need storming great processors to do so but a sweet little ASIC in a Motorola DCT6200 (for example) lets it decode & display with no artifacts or skipping at all, and I'm pretty sure the CPU in those isn't a dual-core beast.

So if someone sells a card (would PCI have the bandwidth?) with one of those ASICs on it (and Linux drivers obviously), I'm sure the Myth community would snap them up once HDTV gets more penetration.

I know VIA has the VT1625M chip (Linux drivers yet?) on their new EPIA boards... something like that on a card!

(Is that even a possibility or is there something blatantly obvious I'm missing?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:13 pm 
mistatofa wrote:
Is there such a thing as a hardware-accelerated HDTV card available (not just XvMC)? I've searched but haven't found one yet...

We've been interested in such a thing, too. Basically an equivalent to the Hauppauge PVR-350's decoder but for HDTV. I've asked one of our suppliers about whether or not they have a product like this on the horizon. I'll also check to see if there are any devices like this out there now.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next