View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:17 pm 
I know this sounds nuts, but I've just posted a new topic to the Installation forum for the second time. The first post never showed up in the forum (nor did any errors show during submission). I figured maybe I'd botched something, so I posted again under the subject: "R5A26 MythWeb login dialog timeout across firewall". The second time, I was sure to check the "Notify me when a reply is posted" option.

I just received an email that a reply was posted, but when I logon and try to find the post (or if I click the direct link to the post that arrived in the email notification), I get an empty topic.

Any idea what's going on?

(To email me directly - since I suspect I'll never see this post again - use bha at worldnet.att.net.)

Thanks,
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:20 pm 
Looking at your topic header, it may be that the topic was deleted as what does
Quote:
"R5A26 MythWeb login dialog timeout across firewall"
have to do with installing MythTV.

You may find that your post may have been deleted, please try and post in the right forum, it helps everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:42 pm 
Read these:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2696
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3195
When Cecil says "Please read before posting" he means it. When he says "Posts that don't belong in installation will be deleted" he means that too. This unoffical post tries to gather the rules into a single place.
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7919

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:44 pm 
Hm. What forum would be correct? General?

Sure would be nice if deleted posts would get emailed back to the poster, if only to avoid retyping the whole thing. I'll try posting to General, and this will be the 3rd time I've written up this issue.

To my flawed thinking, the issue only occured after an upgrade, so I thought it should be in "Installation".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:10 pm 
Sure would be nice if folks would read the 'read me before posting'. Sure would be nice if someone gave you a link to read if you'd read it. Sure would be nice if....

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:55 am 
So, what one really shall do is FIRST post a question in the general forum asking which forum is right to post in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:11 pm 
What is wrong with you? If you read 'read me' it clearly explains where to post what.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:56 pm 
OK. Hand slapped, head hanging in shame. I apologize for not reading the sticky note at the top of the Installation forum index.

The truth is I recognize everyone's time is valuable:

Cesman, tjc, et all especially since they don't want to wast time deleting bad posts.

Even my own humble time.

My original suggestion about an "automated email to the (ignorant, lazy, uninformed, careless, clueless, insert derogatory adjective here) poster that his/her/it's post has been deleted" could ultimately save everyone time, and here's how:

If the automated post included the RTFM link about where to post, the poster is less likely to repeat the offense...maybe.

The worst case (the clueless poster still refuses to RTFM) is no worse than the current situation.

The best case, the poster does RTFM, and avoids making more misguided posts, which initiate the time wasting cycle again.

I have no idea how difficult such a feature would be to implement in these php bb's, but blindly ignoring the implementation effort involved for now, does anyone think it would be helpful?

I apologize for the frustrated tone in which I made my original suggestion (since I have posted to the forum a number of times over the last few years and never saw the behavior I was seeing). I don't wish to waste anymore of anyone's time on this if the "automated 'post deleted' feedback" idea appears useless.

Dan