View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Accessing from Windows
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:22 pm 
Hello everybody.

I am looking for a way to access my mythbox from across a network.

I looked into this on the wiki and came accross the article on Samba:

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=UsingSambaHowTo

I followed the directions to start up Samba and then went to my Windows XP box.
My mythbox was not there.

Let me tell you a bit about the network that I am on.

I am at college and each floor must be connected to a router. I know this because I am able to play CounterStrike with poeple over the LAN (which extends only over the floor in my building).

When I go to My Network Places as described in the wiki, not only do I not see my myth box, I don't see any other people on the network which can't be right. I am lett to belive that this may have something to do with my firewall that I am running (ZoneAlarm).

This post: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=samba

makes me think that zoneAlarm may be my source of difficulty. However from that post I am not sure exactly what the user did. I am guessing that he shut down ZoneAlarm entirely which is something that I do not wish to do. In zoneAlarm I can configure which programs have access to the Internet and such. What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated. I am sure that I have neglected some info so just ask. Thanks mates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:58 pm 
Open up my computer, then in the address bar type:

\\xx.xx.xx.xx

and press enter (where xx.xx.xx.xx is the ip of your myth box)

with any luck you should be able do browse the shared folders :)

Post subject: no beans
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:13 pm 
It says that the address cannot be found. I have zone alarm configured so that Windows Explorer has allowed Access to Trusted and Internet. I'm not getting any zone alarm prompts (but I shouldn't be, correct?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:03 pm 
There are a couple of things that you could try. First I would see if you can ping your myth box from your xp box.
Code:
ping 192.168.0.0
Replace the IP with your myth boxes ip address. If that doesn't work you could try a trace route
Code:
tracert 192.168.0.0
Now if that doesn't work either you might have something else broken or wrong. Your campus network may be blocking the port for ping and trace route. They could also be blocking the ports that Samba uses. I would also try the same thing from your myth box to see if it can see the xp box. use traceroute rather than tracert though. Make sure you are using the right ip addresses. I know it's a simple thing but often it's the simple things that get us. Another thing to try would be mythweb. Can you connect to the myth box using a browser on the xp box? If so you might be able to use mythstreamtv rather than samba to watch the shows on other pcs on the network. You might want to shutdown ZoneAlarm while doing these tests. That might let you know if it is ZA that is causing the problem.

Post subject: back with info
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:00 pm 
Hello again guys. Here is what I did:

I was able to ping the mythbox from the XP machine. I was able to ping the XP machine from the mythbox (when zoneAlarm was turned off).

I had a friend of mine load up with an ubuntu 5.10 live cd on his laptop and connect to the network. Ubuntu found the other computers on the network, including the mythbox. (I tried to connect but couldn't remember the password. What does it default to?)

Anyways.... this proves some things:
1) The network is working
2) The ports are not blocked
3) Samba is working

Therefore, the problem must lie with my XP machine.

Now as to what I did on the XP machine. I went to My Network Places. It showed nothing. I clicked on "View workgroup computers".
After a pause I received the error message: "Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. *Line Break* The network path was not found."

I turned off zoneAlarm and repeated, and received the exact same error message.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help so far.

Also: I have not yet tried to connect to my machine with mythWeb. (I have been busy). I do realize that I will need to do this in the future but would like to get samba working first.

Thanks again

Post subject: Re: back with info
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:23 pm 
sithlord39 wrote:

Anyways.... this proves some things:
1) The network is working
2) The ports are not blocked
3) Samba is working

1 is true, 2 & 3 are not really proof. on the myth machine, type

smbd status

that will be the proof that samba is running. It can be running, but unless it is configured correctly, you may not be able to connect to it.

You don't mention editing the smb.conf file. did you set the workgroup in the smb.conf file?

also, I seem to recall something about plain/encrypted passwords needing to be tweaked in the conf file for authentication to work? There is also a reg hack I read about... use at your own risk...

http://www.ccs.uky.edu/docs/samba.htm

hope this helps, I got it going with about 30 minutes of googling:

"samba authentication" "xp to linux" "xp to samba server"

and so on. don't forget the quotes in this case. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:41 pm 
here's another helpful link:

http://www.samba.netfirms.com/faq.htm

got this one from googling:

samba encrypted password xp

returned 76,900 responses. I'd be willing to bet the advice is repeated at least 3 or 4 times.