View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Podcast Client
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:50 am 
I am a big fan of podcasts and IPTV (Twit, DL.TV, Systm, Ask a Ninja, etc) and I think that they really complement Mythtv.

I have been using iPodder client outlined in this thread http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=podcast for almost a year now and while it works it is a bit of a hack and I have to run it manually every day as I could never get the cron job to work properly.

I am going to reinstall my Knoppmyth box with the newest version and since I am doing that I figured I would look into other podcasting clients.

I did some searching and came up with this list of Podcasting Clients http://www.podcastingnews.com/topics/Po ... tware.html . Under the Command Line section there are 3 Armangil's Podcatcher, BashPodder, and Podget. Does anyone have any experience using these? What I really want is a client that I can have automatically run every night and download my podcasts and IPTV shows, but the kicker is that it has to have Bittorrent support as a number of these use bittorrent to transfer.

Anyone have any ideas or testimonials on podcast software that they use?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Podcast Client
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:50 pm 
Spud911 wrote:
Anyone have any ideas or testimonials on podcast software that they use?

Not so much a testimonial, but I do plan to try out the Democracy player, which includes podcast and torrent support, AFAIK. Mythstream also has some basic podcast functionality, but no bittorrent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:03 pm 
I use bashpodder all the time. There is a modification that someone did so that it will use bittorrent, but I don't need it and haven't tried it.

bashpodder:
http://linc.homeunix.org:8080/scripts/bashpodder

bashpodder w/bittorrent add-in.
http://linc.homeunix.org:8080/scripts/b ... huw_lynes/

Try adding the linux link tech show www.tllts.com to your podcasts. It's one of my favorites.
http://tllts.info/ :D

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:21 am 
to answer your question, just use mythstream. while it's not installed by default, the install script is included to be added if you choose. do a search or read about it on the wiki. it's what i use to watch rocketboom/dl.tv

good luck with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:31 am 
I'd love to use MythStream to subscribe to video podcasts like Rocketboom, but I'd also love to see a simpler description of how to configure MythStream to do so than is currently on the wiki. When the current instructions start with "install ethereal and sniff your network for traffic," that's not the user-friendliest thing I've seen. :?

I'll try installing MythStreamWeb and see if it makes adding RSS feeds any easier... I tried adding Rocketboom and I apparently didn't do it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:48 pm 
Hey - I wrote that wiki page! If you read the entire page on the wiki you dont have to install ethereal. It is an option to make it easier to find a streams url. For most streams the URL is plainly or easily found, but there are a few sites that bury it.
Installing mythstream is easy. If you have a question on the installation please post. I'll help you out. :D

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:18 pm 
Thanks for the offer. I'm not criticizing the wiki page--it's probably a victim of success. At this point there's been so many additions and changes it's hard to follow.

MythStream appeared to be pre-installed when I upgraded to R5B7; at least it appears in the MythTV menus and I didn't do any of the install steps on the wiki. Some of the included examples work, like BBC Radio: many don't.

I'd like to add Rocketboom. So I went to setup and added the appropriate URL from the RSS feeds page:

http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/rss.html

I used Feed #3 (RSS 2.0 with .mov file enclosures):

http://www.rocketboom.com/vlog/quicktim ... osures.xml

When I go back to Podcasts, RocketBoom appears in the list, but selecting it then shows me a list of the links present in that episode, rather than the video. Do I need to add it to TV instead? (Note that I did the two CPAN updates today and haven't tried it since I did those.)

Also, configuring via MythStreamWeb didn't work per the wiki instructions since I didn't install MythStream from scratch.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:36 am 
I never use it for podcasts. I loaded yours and see lots of links, some for wmv. I'm guessing that maybe the mov's are buried somewhere. I've only spent a few mintues with it and it looks like links are all over the place. Anway, I'll look at it more once the world cup game is over. It shouldn't matter where you put it, TV, Radio, Podcasts, etc are just like bookmark folders, they all do the same thing.

Edit: I found it. The quicktimes are just buried under links that make no sense. To find that first mov file, Go to Rocketboom, then ruud ethendorp, then all the way down to rocketboom again, then the link that ends with ...vlog, then quicktime. The video will start. Good luck trying to find your way around for the other videos!

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:10 pm 
Yeah, I see what you mean, and that's not going to cut it for podcasts. I think I'll be better off for now figuring out one of the command line programs mentioned in this thread, having it download to /myth/video/, and watching them that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:10 pm 
Try using bashpodder. It runs command line from a cron job. Works great for me.

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:21 am 
I too am using bashpodder, works great.. I also am using Edna http://edna.sourceforge.net/ to do my streaming. It is based on PHP and works great for me..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:44 pm 
Thanks for the replies guys, some good information here.

I ended up going with Podracer http://linc.homeunix.org:8080/scripts/b ... aylor/?S=A

It is based on Bashpodder but makes it easy for us Linux n00bs. It has an installer and is really easy to configure. Plus it works from a cron job and has bittorrent support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:32 pm 
Spud911 wrote:

Maybe I'm having a dumb day, but I successfully installed this, configured /etc/podracer.conf and used the default podcast list. Running 'podracer' for the first time asked me if I wanted to use the default list, and it was successfully copied to ~/.podracer/subscriptions. But I get no logs, and nothing has appeared in any of the target or tmp directories I specified. No clue why it's failing or why it's failing to tell me why it's failing. Did you have better luck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:04 pm 
I had no issues at all with it.

Did you run the program again? The first time it just generates the subscriptions file. If you run it again it should then start downloading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:43 pm 
Spud911 wrote:
I had no issues at all with it.

I've since revisited it. My only mistake was assuming I could edit /etc/podracer.conf's poddir directory :) Actually, it is editable, but I found that if you don't end it with the datestamp, running fails right away with no error message.

It seems to find the direct feeds just fine, but so far I haven't been able to get any torrentized podcasts. Still trying.

BEGIN EDIT
Not sure why, but it's working now. Mostly. The directory name is insane. E.g.

Code:
# Rocketboom
http://www.prodigem.com/torrents/rss/rocketboom.xml /myth/video/rocketboom

->
Code:
mythtv@dragon:/myth/music/podcasts/2006-07-02/myth/video/rocketboom$ ls -al
total 32
drwxr-xr-x  8 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 20:38 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 18:19 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 20:15 directory name: rocketboom-rb_06_jun_08_hd
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 20:11 directory name: rocketboom-rb_06_jun_13_hd
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 18:19 directory name: rocketboom-rb_06_jun_14_hd
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 19:44 directory name: rocketboom-rb_06_jun_15_hd
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 18:47 directory name: rocketboom-rb_06_jun_16_hd
drwxr-xr-x  2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul  2 19:02 directory name: rocketboom-rb_06_jun_19_hd

Note the "directory name: " text in the, well, directory name... I'll take a closer look at that part of the code when I get a chance.

END EDIT

Also, I can't seem to specify an absolute path for an individual podcast. Not sure if that's a design limitation or my own lack of clue. It's all in bash, so I'm sure I can make some changes myself, like adding debugging output when things fail...

Still, when it works it's pretty damn cool!

Go to page 1, 2  Next