View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:38 pm 
Hi,

Has anyone had any success getting a MediaMVP to boot from an R5E50 install? After upgrading to R5E50 all I get is DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPOFFER messages:
Code:
Jan 25 22:05:30 mythtv dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:0d:fe:00:3e:0d via eth0
Jan 25 22:05:30 mythtv dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.0.0.40 to 00:0d:fe:00:3e:0d via eth0

I've got this to work with the last 3 versions of KnoppMyth by following these instructions:

http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MediaMVP_LinuxHOWTO

With R5E50 there is at least one step (from the above link) that doesn't work anymore (step 4):
Code:
/etc/init.d/inetd restart

so I've been rebooting the box in between changes to make sure they are picked up. ps shows that inetd is running and netstat gives the following:
Code:
root@mythtv:/tftpboot# netstat -al |grep tftp
udp        0      0 *:tftp                  *:*

Here is my tftpd-hpa for reference:
Code:
root@mythtv:/tftpboot# cat /etc/default/tftpd-hpa
#Defaults for tftpd-hpa
RUN_DAEMON="yes"
OPTIONS="-l -s /tftpboot"

(I've also tried this with "no")

And here is the relevant line from my inetd.conf
Code:
root@mythtv:/tftpboot# cat /etc/inetd.conf |grep tftp
tftp            dgram   udp     wait    root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  /usr/sbin/in.tftpd -s /tftpboot

Thanks in advance if anyone has any suggestions.

Last edited by thowell on Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:39 am 
Have you tried tftp'ing from the command line to see if it works and that you can get a file? That would at least give you an idea of where it is going wrong. Also check to see if any logs are produced ("ls -lart" in /var/logs lists the log files in backwards time order so you can see which ones have just been modified).

One common problem is file permissions on either the tftp dir or the file(s) to download.

If you are really stuck (as I have been with some bootP systems I've worked on), using ethereal/wireshark to sniff the packets and see what exact tftp commands are sent has revealed the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:54 am 
I have mine working but my dhcp server is on another box. The thing that caught me out with the next server address in the dhcp config

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:54 am 
I'm having the same problem,

I have not pout much time into resovling it yet, I'm still working on getting HD to play back smooth.

I'm at the same point as you. I have set things up like in the past and the MVP picks up it's ip address and I can ping it. I have also tried to tftp from the mythbackend and it works.

So I know it is something to do with were the mvp is tring to get it's image from or not being told were to get it from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:53 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and set the /tftpboot directory to a+rwx as well as the dongle and it's config file, but it didn't help. The syslog and daemon.log both show the DHCPDISCOVER / DHCPOFFER pairs going on and on but nothing else.

The DHCP server is serving up addresses to other boxes OK, and I can tftp the dongle.bin.mvpmc file from another machine.

I did a packet capture, and it shows the DHCPDISCOVER and then 2 other UDP packets (from the MediaMVP to broadcast address:16867) but Ethereal doesn't decode enough of those 2 other packets for me to tell what is going on. I've posted the capture file online if anyone with more packet capture experience wants to take a look at it.

(Never mind the capture, I forgot that I'm using a switch instead of a hub. I need to re-capture this from the Myth box.)
http://home.comcast.net/~tom-howell/mediamvp-boot.cap

This link ( http://www.rst38.org.uk/mediamvp/protocol.txt ) makes it sound like the requests to port 16867 are normal, but it makes me wonder if I need to also set tftpd to listen on that port?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:57 pm 
OK, I got a capture that shows more than just the broadcast packets:

http://home.comcast.net/~tom-howell/test.cap

It looks OK to me but I've never looked at any DHCP or bootp packets before. If anyone has a capture of a working sequence I would love to see it.

My trace shows the server returning a valid boot file name (dongle.bin.mvpmc), but I'm not sure if the "Next server IP address" needs to be set or not? What else should be set to get the MediaMVP box to initiate the download?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:15 pm 
That fixed it for me.

I needed to add a " next-server ip-of-mythbox "
to my /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf file. Here is the complete file if anyone needs it for reference:

Code:
mythtv@mythtv:/tftpboot$ cat /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf
allow booting;
allow bootp;
default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

range 10.0.0.50 10.0.0.60;
        option routers 10.0.0.1;
        option domain-name-servers 10.0.0.1;
}

# you then should give your MediaMVP a fixed IP number,
# and a filename to boot from. Note you will need
# to get the MediaMVP's MAC address from the sticker
# on the bottom of the unit

host MVP {
        hardware ethernet 00:0d:fe:00:3e:0d;
        next-server 10.0.0.10;
        filename "dongle.bin.mvpmc";
        fixed-address 10.0.0.40;
}
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:19 pm 
Hi so are you using your knoppmyth box to be a DCHP server. I have wanted to enable my media mvp for quite some time however I use my linksys router to do my dhcp. I thought you had to have the knoppmyth box do dchp to get the media mvp to work.

Please tell me if this is not the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:21 am 
You can run the dhcp & tftp server on any machine, it doesn't have to be your knoppmyth box. I don't know if you are able to set the relevant dhcp options on a linksys router though. You might if you load some of the alternative firmwares available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:25 pm 
Yes, the above example is from a setup where I am running the DHCP server and TFTP server both on the Myth box. The address of the Myth box is 10.0.0.10 and the MediaMVP is assigned 10.0.0.40.

If you are going to try and use your Linksys you need to (at a minimum) find a way to set the next-server option and the filename for the client to download.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:21 am 
Hmm, I am stuck at this position also.

Found that I needed to set the tftpd to run as root from /etc/inetd.conf otherwise I'd get errors in the daemon.log about being unable to set groups for user nobody.

So now I have tftp working on the RE50 box, I can see the mvp getting an ip address from dhcp and then attempting to download the firmware image, but it never finishes....

Mar 27 00:39:48 backend in.tftpd[6443]: connect from xxx.yyy.zzz.145 (xxx.yyy.zzz.145)

I can use a tftp client on my windows desktop without issue to pull down the firmware and config file from the backend.

C:\Documents and Settings\sibbleh>tftp -i xxx.yyy.zzz.14 get dongle.bin.mvpmc dongle
Transfer successful: 3457568 bytes in 3 seconds, 1152522 bytes/s

C:\Documents and Settings\sibbleh>tftp xxx.yyy.zzz.14 get dongle.bin.mvpmc.config dongle.txt
Transfer successful: 487 bytes in 1 second, 487 bytes/s

Hmm, just resolved it, seems my wireless bridge setup (linksys wrt54g and gs' running dd-wrt) for the MVP's is broken :-( and plugging it into a cabled connection works fine.

Well hopefully some of the above helps someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:28 pm 
so you can do the get-set command and do tftp from the linksys with the dd-wrt?

Can you send details of exactly how you are doing this. i have a mvp that has been sitting around for 3yrs, that i would like to use for my kitchen