View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:19 am 
I am having a problem with the Dvico remote not working after doing a fresh install. Btw I have tried the recommended fix of lirc-reconfig.sh edit file ,reboot.

Here is what I have tried/found

running irw kills lircd
/dev/lirc0 does not exist

I then started lircd with "lircd -n --driver=dvico --device=/dev/lirc0"
ran irw and received this error from lircd

lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3823]: lircd(all) ready
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3823]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3823]: initializing '/dev/lirc0'
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3823]: unable to open '/dev/lirc0'
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3823]: caught signal
Terminated

So I then ran lircd with "ircd -n --driver=dvico" again ran irw which worked and lircd now reports the following output

root@mythtv:/etc/lirc# lircd -n --driver=dvico
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3825]: lircd(all) ready
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3825]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd-0.8.1-CVS-pvr150[3825]: initializing '/dev/usb/hiddev0'

Ok I can see its using a different device but it seems to be work, fired up the frontend (after killing irw) and still could not navigate with the remote.

I have tried a symlink from /dev/usb/hiddev0 to /dev/lirc0 but end up the my last result, irw can log output from the remote but still cannot navigate within Myth.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Last edited by usare on Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:46 pm 
The dvico remote should work out of the box without any changes. lirc0 is not used by the dvico remote. Have you checked your batteries?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:52 pm 
Greg Frost wrote:
The dvico remote should work out of the box without any changes. lirc0 is not used by the dvico remote. Have you checked your batteries?

Yup the batteries are ok for sure this was confirmed by some of my testing.

Ok if the divico remote is not supposed to use /dev/lirc0 do you know what device it should be using?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:22 pm 
/dev/usb/hiddev0

Do you have some other USB device that may be at that address?

do the following command:
Code:
mythtv@mythtv:~$ dmesg | grep DVICO
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [DVICO DVICO USB HID Remocon V1.00] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2
As you can see, the remote is on hiddev96 (which translates to /dev/usb/hiddev0)
Code:
mythtv@mythtv:~$ ls -la /dev/usb/hiddev0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 180, 96 Jan 27 13:46 /dev/usb/hiddev0

If yours says hiddev97 or something else, then perhaps you need to specify /dev/usb/hiddev1 in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:52 pm 
After I did a install I have to change the /etc/lirc/hardware.conf to use /dev/usb/hiddev0
Then change the /etc/lirc/lircd.conf to the DVICO one
and one last change was the /home/mythtv/.myth/lirc

Then everything was sweet

If you use irw it might help you find out where you problam is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:41 am 
Greg Frost wrote:
/dev/usb/hiddev0

Do you have some other USB device that may be at that address?

Code:
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [DVICO DVICO USB HID Remocon V1.00] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2
As you can see, the remote is on hiddev96 (which translates to /dev/usb/hiddev0)
Code:

If yours says hiddev97 or something else, then perhaps you need to specify /dev/usb/hiddev1 in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

Tried the above and the result is its using hiddev96 so I changed hardware.conf to use /dev/usb/hiddev0. Now I tried that last night and I could swear it didnt work, however I have just got back from the cricket turned my myth box on and hey presto I am now in remote heaven.

Thanks for the help :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:04 pm 
I am having problems getting my dvico remote to work as well. I set the hardware.conf to point to /dev/usb/hiddev0 and get the results per Gregs posting below.
irw works but mode 2 gives me a : mode2: error opening /dev/lirc (i don't know what this mode 2 is but it appears in a few postings when I googled for possible fixes)
I changed /etc/lirc/lircd.conf to be the Dvico one and edited out the MCE remotes.
I am also slightly confused about which file should be in the /home/myth directory. I thought the file should be lircrc in /.mythtv but Chrisj refers to : /home/mythtv/.myth/lirc which doesn't exist in file system.
I notice in the lircrc file that it has prog = irxevent whereas most of the other examples I have seen say prog = mythtv?

Any help appreciated.
Eddy

[quote="Greg Frost"]/dev/usb/hiddev0

Code:
Code:

Seagate 500GB (Sata)
2x Dvico DVB-T Lite & Sony PlayTV (usb twin tuner)
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe wifi card (not working)
Logitech Harmony One remote, CoolerMaster ATC-S case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:59 pm 
This post is a little old and I hadnt seen it till now, but I thought I'd have a go at answering the questions asked by bearwood.
bearwood wrote:
irw works but mode2 gives me a : mode2: error opening /dev/lirc (i don't know what this mode2 is but it appears in a few postings when I googled for possible fixes)
mode2 is more useful for serial receivers where lirc has to re-construct the digital stream by looking at the timing of IR pulses. Mode2 displays the raw timing of ir pulses without trying to mapt the pulse stream to a button press. With a DVICO remote, the receiver does that, and lirc only needs to read the serial data that the receiver gives it via USB. So I would forget about mode2.

bearwood wrote:
I am also slightly confused about which file should be in the /home/myth directory. I thought the file should be lircrc in /.mythtv but Chrisj refers to : /home/mythtv/.myth/lirc which doesn't exist in file system.
I think chrisj just has a typo. "/home/mythtv/.lircrc" should be a symbolic link pointing to "/home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc".

bearwood wrote:
I notice in the lircrc file that it has prog = irxevent whereas most of the other examples I have seen say prog = mythtv?
Using prog = irxevent means that button presses on the remote can be translated to key presses in any current xwindow (except terminal windows which deliberately block them). The remote effectively becomes a keyboard. Using prog = mythtv and prog = mplayer means that you can map the same button to different functions in the different programs (that may be controlled by different keys when using the application natively). I guess no one has bothered to go to the trouble of creating a lircrc file for the dvico that has that level of complexity yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:32 am 
Thanks for the reply Greg. Better late than never and your explanations are most helpful. The actual problem has since been rectified by subsequent upgrades but it may help others.
Quote:
Using prog = mythtv and prog = mplayer means that you can map the same button to different functions in the different programs (that may be controlled by different keys when using the application natively). I guess no one has bothered to go to the trouble of creating a lircrc file for the dvico that has that level of complexity yet.

I think I might look a bit further into this when I get a little time as I use a Logitech Harmony remote to emulate the Dvico remote and I might be able to get some more functionality from it.

Seagate 500GB (Sata)
2x Dvico DVB-T Lite & Sony PlayTV (usb twin tuner)
TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCIe wifi card (not working)
Logitech Harmony One remote, CoolerMaster ATC-S case