View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: changing from VGA to TV
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:33 am 
I just finished installing KnoppMyth. I did the install with an LCD monitor attached to the VGA on an ATI Radeon 9200 card which also has a video out (comp out). NOT a TV out. Everything was working perfectly until I hooked up the tv to the comp out without the monitor. The tv screen just rolls continuously. What can i do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:40 am 
did you search the wiki for tvout?

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MonitorToTVTransition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:58 am 
tried that but I can't even find the xf86config-4 file. Maybe it's different on my system?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:29 am 
- In Unix/Linux case matters. If someone (who knows what they're talking about) tells you "XF86Config-4" they don't mean "xf86config-4", those are two different files. ;-) In older versions the correct full path name of this file is "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

- With R5E50 KnoppMyth switched from the XFre86 to the X.org server. The new config file name is "/etc/X11/xorg.conf". BTW - You'll need to become root to edit that. See the LinuxTips wiki page for how to do that.

- The R5E50 Upgrade hints and hazards thread contains a lot of useful information about changes in the current release. Since these changes tend to affect the existing information on the wiki, it's worth reading even for a new install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:58 am 
Thanks tjc. I found the file but not sure where to add/change settings for the tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:18 pm 
All I know about setting up the ATI cards is what I've read here.

First you need to be really clear about what you're doing so that the terminology matches. Video standard (NTSC vs. PAL), connection types, ... If you're in North America or Japan we're talking NTSC, otherwise PAL. If you've got the option to use an S-Video connection (round plug with multiple pins/holes inside) between the card and the TV that should give you a better picture. If all you've got at one end or the other is a yellow "RCA phono jack" type plug that's Composite video.

Next, go hunt down the latest "How I got my ATI card to do TV Output" posting. That should include sample xorg.conf files or edits to them. Say something like this thread... http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13503&highlight=ati+video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:35 pm 
Thanks again! I did find one sample. I added a few lines from that and now I'm off to test that with the TV attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:05 pm 
That didn't work. I guess I'll just keep looking.