View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:03 pm 
Ok, I'm pulling my f^@&ing hair out here. I've tried installing this damn thing 10 times and I cannot get the tv to display. I've got the program guide working, dvd palyback, cd's, but I cannot get the tv to work. I'm not a coder so if your going to reply with a bunch recompiling this and installing that don't waste my time or yours. I am ok at vi and I can edit files to an extent. I am just trying to record some weekly shows and I don't want to pay Bill Gates $200 to do so.

I have a pvr-150 card with an NVidia 5200 (both suggested cards on this forum). What the hell am I missing?

Thanks,

scarrgo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:26 pm 
scarrgo wrote:
What the hell am I missing?
Details!

Are you saying that you can't watch Live TV? Be sure you selected the correct tuner type in mythtv-setup (should be PVR-x50 for your PVR-150). If you need to get back to the setup screen to remedy that, see http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... MytTVsetup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:27 pm 
Hi,

A little tack and diplomacy can go a long way.

Also a few details would be a big help, version, a few hardware basics as all we now know is you have a pvr 150 & a 5200 card (pci? agp?)

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:51 pm 
I apologize for my initial post and I realize I am coming off a bit harsh and uninformed, but I am not very saavy when it comes to this system and I am on my 3rd video card and 2nd tuner.

I recently downloaded and created the image for R5E50 and that is what I'm trying to install.

I have the following setup:
Hauppague WinPVR-150 -PCI
PNY- Nvidia FX5200 256MB -PCI
Athlon 1.8 Ghz processor
384 MB RAM

I cannot watch live TV or the recordings that I have recorded. I have been able to get the DVD playback to work, and RIP CD's. The program guide is also working properly. I'm not terrribly concerned about the live TV, I would be happy with being able to watch recorded shows. I am able to get the S-Video display working on my TV, and my ATI remote wonder is working (just trying to figure out which buttons do what).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:02 pm 
Are you sure you are getting recordings? Is there anything in /myth/tv?

I'm still not sure what you are having a problem with exactly, but I assume you are not able to view Live TV. If that is the case, I believe you need to re-address the PVR-150 in the setup, see the link in my previous post. Again, more details would certainly help in resolving the issues..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:03 pm 
For your tuner see the diagnostic steps here. http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BlackScreenWatchingTV

Since "watching live tv" is just, "recording" and "watching a recording" with time lag of less than the current length of the recording, if the one doesn't work, the other generally won't either.

Geting TV output working isn't hard, and works out of the box for most folks (if you install using that option), but sometimes requires fiddling around with the configuration files. Installing using a computer monitor can actually make this harder since you need to undo the setup it does for that first.

As someone else already pointed out, the more details you give us, the better we can help you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for the details. Hardware looks like it should do the task ok, R5E50 was a pretty good release so suspect something in the settings. Assuming auto install, then the paths should be setup properly but is worth the double check.

Am interested to learn how you know the recording are really ok. Do you see thumbnail images in the mythweb under recordings? Are there .mpg files in /myth/tv ?

Questions are good, if you have one or three, throw it out as someone will most likely have something for information. Check the wiki for much valuable information, also the stickies usually have good bit & pieces.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:14 pm 
Thanks for the advice. I went back in and made sure the card was setup and bound to a video source name. There are 5 different setting on the capture card;

tuner
composite1
s-video1
composite2
svideo2

I chose composite1 as the default input which I beleive is correct because my coax cable is connected into the input of the PVR150 card.

There are files in /mythtv/tv with a .mpg extension that appear to be rather large. The main problem is that when I select "Watch Live TV" I get a black screen with a thin blue border around it. I did setup the system using a PC monitor, but now I am using my s-video from the Nvidia card to my TV and menus are working on the TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:32 pm 
scarrgo wrote:
I chose composite1 as the default input which I beleive is correct because my coax cable is connected into the input of the PVR150 card.

Co-ax (the connector with the threads) goes into the tuner...

From the wiki page:
Quote:
Chose the default connection type appropriate for your input. If you're connecting via coax use the lowest numbered Tuner or Television input, for S-Video use the lowest numbered S-Video input, for Composite (yellow RCA phono jack) use the lowest numbered Composite input.

I know there's a lot of information packed onto that page, but going through it carefully and really trying to understand it will pay off big time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:12 pm 
Thanks tjc!!!!!! YEAHH!!!!!!!! I'm watching and recording at the same time on my TV. WOOOOOOO!!!!HOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I changed my card to "tuner1" and it is all working now!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help and patience while I freaked out in this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:26 pm 
Enjoy :)