PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:45 pm 
Hi, I'm a newbie and have built a new system:
mv2-tvm motherboard
3800+ 64 AMD CPU
ATI x1050 video Card
Compro T750 tv tuner card
Seagate 320GB S-ATA disk
PAL TV; I'm in Australia

I am connecting to my plasma TV with a DVI-D connector from the video card.

I have tried installing a dual boot with vista and knoppmyth, but have given that up for the time being because the Compro card is just not behaving with vista, even though the box had a sticker on it saying it was certified for Vista. Can't get any support from Compro, either.

Anyhow, on to Knoppmyth...
1: I partitioned my disk drive with CFDISK during the manual install, and I could never get more than 4 partitions. It always said the space after the 4th partition was "unusable". Any ideas on why?
2. Installation went fine; when I rebooted the splash screen looked fine, but as soon as I came to configuration, my display (plasma TV) went all black and white and distorted .... PLEASE tell me what is wrong. I can't possible configure it like this .... and I'm SO frustrated with this installation.

On the dual booting...I have found at least 5 sets of instructions on getting a dual boot to work, and none of them are clear, and none specifically address Vista and Knoppmyth. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks!
Michele

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:37 am 
Quote:
I partitioned my disk drive with CFDISK during the manual install, and I could never get more than 4 partitions. It always said the space after the 4th partition was "unusable". Any ideas on why?
On x86 based systems there can only be 4 primary partitions, if you need more than 4, create an extended partition, then create as many partitions you need in the extended partition.

Quote:
Installation went fine; when I rebooted the splash screen looked fine, but as soon as I came to configuration, my display (plasma TV) went all black and white and distorted
At the boot prompt, you can add the "tv" parameter, use F1 to F4 to give you help at the boot prompt. If you have a PC monitor it might be better using that.

Quote:
On the dual booting...I have found at least 5 sets of instructions on getting a dual boot to work, and none of them are clear, and none specifically address Vista and Knoppmyth.
Knoppmyth as I understand is really meant as an "appliance" distro where it runs on it's own machine, though it should be able to do a dual boot.
As I understand it, MSFT have changed how Vista boots compared with XP etc, so there might be not much info on dual booting with it, yet.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:03 pm 
I tried using TV and it changed the installation somewhat, but as soon as I rebooted, I was back to the same old black and white distorted menu. Does it have something to do with my video card?
Thanks
Michele

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:34 am 
Just to confirm some things.
Firstly how far do you get in the install, do you get to the part where Tux is on the couch watching TV?
Have you checked your connection type and made sure they are secure? You may think it's a stupid question, but I had a problem once where someone couldn't print, and the printer could support 2 different interfaces, unfortunately he had connected the wrong one up.
It might be worthwhile posting your Section "Monitor" and Section "Device" from your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1