View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: uShare Installation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:36 am 
Hi all,

I have an R5D1 based system which caontins my full music library. I have been trying to find ways of getting my Xbox 360 to play music stored on this box, and came across this entry on Digg about uShare which looks like it will do what I want.

Unfortuantely, I have tried to install this by adding the entry to my sources.list, but then apt-get gives me the following error:

Quote:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
ushare: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.5-6 is to be installed
Depends: libupnp2 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to go about solving these dependencies?

Many thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:49 am 
Did you try apt-get update? That may refresh the list and solve the dependencies. Or, maybe not.

Anyway, this looks interesting. It looks like it can serve video too. Would that allow an XBox360 to play recorded TV shows and videos from a myth box? That would be cool. Well, it would be cool if I had another TV, and the XBox360 wasn't sitting right next to the Myth box! LOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:01 am 
Yea I tried apt-get update, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm not sure if uShare will stream videos to the 360 or not, but I'm in the same situation as you with the boxes sitting next to each other. :)

I was just aiming to get access to the mp3s to play in the background instead of the default in game music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:30 am 
I am looking for nearly the same thing. Geexbox runs uShare and it finds all the windooze boxes in the house so I can play files off them.

What I am looking for is that Geexbox sees my R5E50 Myth box (well my /myth/video directory) so I can play those files.

So I guess I need to find a way to make my myth box look like a winblows machine so uShare, on the Geexbox, can see it.

Anybody got any hints for me on how to get it to work?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 pm 
I had problems about a year ago building ushare that had something to do with the version of gcc. see this on the geexbox forum:

http://www.geexbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4855&highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:04 pm 
Quote:
So I guess I need to find a way to make my myth box look like a winblows machine so uShare, on the Geexbox, can see it.

Anybody got any hints for me on how to get it to work?

Samba is already installed in Knoppmyth, you just have to

start it
Code:
/etc/init.d/samba start

make it start during boot
Code:
update-rc.d samba defaults

configure GeeX to connect with ID-mythtv password-mythtv
or edit the samba configuration on KnoppMyth to add userIDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:05 am 
Thanks for that. I got samba going no worries with info on the wiki and can see myth on my winblows box.

Just got to play around with Geexbox and see how I go. Also trying to put it on a mem stick. Got some old/damaged laptops around be nice to build up simple little boxes to play myth vids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:13 pm 
Got it working. I didn't take notice of what spalVl said about user and password and I had the wrong password, I was using the password that you enter when 1st setting up myth. I also had to change myth's workgroup so now it matches the rest of my network. So cheers all round.

Now I got to sort out choppy playpack, which I don't get when I access the same file stored on an XP box. I have done hdpram stuff and the defaults were the optimum settings. So I got some more investigation to do both in myth and my network.

Thanks for the help people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:59 pm 
Hi daggo,
I'm trying to follow this. What exactly do you have as a result? Video/Music on your XBox360 pulling from Myth, or does it go through geexbox as a bridge? Or are you playing stuff on the geexbox?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:10 pm 
Just playing stuff on myth to other pc/notebooks with Geexbox.

I have KnoppMyth running on a PC, both backend and frontend, sitting next to the TV. The only job (at the mo) I wanted myth to do was play videos. I didn't need a PVR as I have a US tivo running OzTivo which has a very high WAF. And the area I live in has no HDTV.

I pull the .ty files of OzTivo, remove content I don't want, convert them to mpg and stick 'em on myth. But I wanted a very simple way to allow the rest of the family to access the vids on myth from around the house. They can also access my music file that are stored on a different pc.

The kids have notebooks supplied by their school, and the wife uses her notebook for our business, so I didn't want any fiddly winblows stuff on them. So now they just boot off a CD (or mem stick) and away they go. Geexbox is just way to simple to drive and install. It's very basic and not as flash as myth but it works.

See clear as mud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:56 pm 
daggo wrote:
See clear as mud!

Got it, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:35 pm 
I've been looking at this again, and although I haven't managed to get uShare installed, I have found an alternative solution to get my mp3s playing on the 360.

I noticed this post on the mythtv mailing list, which seems to imply that the inbuilt upnp server in myth will eventually support the xbox 360 natively which is good news.

Even better for me however was a mention of x360mediaserve, which is hosted on sourcforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x360mediaserve/

This seems to be a Java based upnp application especially written for working with the xbox 360.

Installation for me (on R5D1) was really easy. I just extracted the tar file (I downloaded the 0.0.2-testing version), and ran start passing in the IP address of the box it was running on.

This starts up a sever on port 7000, and to configure it you need to access http://127.0.0.1:7000/configure

One point to note (which confused me for a while) is that this must be done on the machine on which you are running the server. Changing the IP address in the URL and accessing it remotely does not seem to save any changes!

The only setting I used was the 'Music Dir', which I set to /myth/music, so it would pick up all my songs.

With this running, the 360 picked it up straight away, and seems to play back my songs without problem :D

All I have to do now is work out how to get it to run on startup!

I hope this is useful. It think there maybe some support for videos as well, but I've not looked at that yet :)