View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: lirc_mod_mce
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:39 pm 
I have a origen ae X11e box which came with a VFD and IR module attached to it and also the MCE remote. I found the reference to the lirc_mod_mce on sourceforge on the wiki but there are no directions on how to actually install it and the version is an older one that does not include the keyboard. I also own the MCE keyboard. Any help/directions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: MCE remote and keyboard
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:25 am 
Karlec
It looks like you have a nice HTPC case to work with. I posted this a few months back

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13942&highlight=

Do you already have the MCE remote setup in Knoppmyth?
Is your MCE remote working?
What version of Knoppmyth do you have?

I have only looked at this briefly so take it for what it is worth.
If your remote is functioning I would only install the mod_mce which is only the keyboard functions. All of the keys that are on your remote and also on your keyboard already function, only your main keyboard keys do not work on a R5E50 install. There are only three files in the mod-mce folder, a script file, make file and the keyboard driver. If you want to work on this problem jointly let me know and I will start a new post that is more descriptive.
TVBox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:49 am 
TVBox wrote:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13942&highlight=

Do you already have the MCE remote setup in Knoppmyth?
Is your MCE remote working?
What version of Knoppmyth do you have?

I have only looked at this briefly so take it for what it is worth.
If your remote is functioning I would only install the mod_mce which is only the keyboard functions. All of the keys that are on your remote and also on your keyboard already function, only your main keyboard keys do not work on a R5E50 install. There are only three files in the mod-mce folder, a script file, make file and the keyboard driver. If you want to work on this problem jointly let me know and I will start a new post that is more descriptive.

I've recently bought both the MS MCE remote and keyboard to use with my KnoppMyth R5E50 box. The remote is the Dell/Philips OEM one so neither the remote or receiver have Microsoft splashed across them (just need to change the Windows Start logo...)

I've got the remote working (using lirc_mceusb2) but the keyboard functions as you say, only the duplicated media buttons.

Looking at the mod-mce SourceForge page I thought I needed to compile llirc_mod_mce as I want to use both the remote and keyboard at the same time - the remote everyday and the keyboard when I need to use it (ie. surfing web, configuration, etc.).

From the mod-mce SF page:

"mod_mce: Since some new input functions are used in this project, please update your kernel. You have to enable USB and input in your kernel configuration. Building is done by executing 'make'.

mce_lircd: This is a daemon for those without the USB receiver but with a lirc-compatible receiver. This daemon relies on user input to be activated in your kernel.

lirc_mod_mce: Due to popular demand, I quickly assembled this driver which is basically a combination of mod_mce and a lirc module. This driver allows you to use the keyboard/mouse features as well as the remote control features at the same time."

I've tried compiling lirc_mod_mce but make complains about missing usb_input.h. Looking on another box (SUSE Linux 10.1) I found usb_input.h in /lib/modules/<kernel>/build/include/linux but on KM R5E50 it doesn't exist in that path (and yes I've installed and fixed the kernel source). Copying the file across allows the module to compile but after copying the compiled lirc_mod_mce.ko to /lib/modules/<kernel>/misc and modprobe lirc_mod_mce the standard keyboard keys still don't work.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:48 am 
TVBox,

Thx for your answer. I am using R5E50. The remote is not working yet, during the install I selected the mce option for lirc but it came back with a message that it was not detected. I figured I would continue on and try to fix it later. Than I found the "lirc_mod_mce" on sourceforge with no directions, I googled and found that a few people had attempted to use it but it was late last night.
I am trying to prioritize because I have quite a few things to work on in order to get my box functional. Any help on your part would be greatly appreciated, so on for the new thread!
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:56 am 
karlec
There is a error in the MCE install script in R5E50
R5E50 Upgrade hints and Hazards
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13108
Page 1, Phaze 2a, #4
Code:
mv /usr/local/share/knoppmyth/remotes/mceusb2/etc/init.d/lirc /usr/local/share/knoppmyth/remotes/mceusb2/etc/init.d/lirc.stale

Note: this is all one line of code
This only works on time of install, follow the link.
On a new install of R5E50 I had no problems after following Hint & Tips. My remote was installed and it works. This is just a reminder that things often times get broke when you try to set up new functions. Start a card file and word processor sheet to store all of you setup information so you can do a reinstall quickly if you have to. I will start a new thread tonight and post what I think I know.
TVBox

Last edited by TVBox on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:33 pm 
simonflood
You have to remember that this program / driver is for all Linux distributions and not geared specifically to Knoppmyth that already has a functioning MCE lric. Lirc_mod_mce installs both the lirc files and the keyboard / mouse driver. We already have a functioning media keys. Now all we should have to do is install the MCE USB keyboard.
Quote:
"mod_mce: Since some new input functions are used in this project, please update your kernel. You have to enable USB and input in your kernel configuration.

The KM guys have already enabled the USB functions or the remote would not work. I think we have to careful not to break things that are not broken, as of yet anyway. I will start a new thread tonight.
TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:31 pm 
This is what I get when I try to run lirc-reconfig.sh:

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

I should have been able to auto-detect this remote. If you're sure it's
plugged in, please send the contents of /var/log/mythtv/lirc-reconfig.log
to knoppmyth@gmail.com. Otherwise, please be sure to plug the remote
in and re-run this script.

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

Which MCEUSB remote do you have?
a) MCEUSB (older).
b) MCEUSB (newer).

a) MCEUSB (older).
b) MCEUSB (newer).

b
###################
### New MCE USB ###
###################

NOTE, the included lircrc is for the older MCEUSB and may not work.
If you have an updated version, please send it to knoppmyth@gmail.com
System startup links for /etc/init.d/lirc already exist.
Stopping lirc daemon: lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircd.

I tried again and picked option a - old remote, this time around with the following result:
a) MCEUSB (older).
b) MCEUSB (newer).

a
System startup links for /etc/init.d/lirc already exist.
Stopping lirc daemon: lircmd lircd.
Starting lirc daemon: lircd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:27 pm 
TVBox wrote:
If you are not doing this at the time of install you will have to run lirc-reconfig.sh and reboot.

Actually if you don't do this at install time you lose the good one in /etc/init.d and either need to reconstruct it or get it off of the CD. (Search for "rescue disk" for directions.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:30 pm 
Thanks tjc
Now that you mention it I remember reading that somewhere. I will edit my previous post so not to spread deceptive information.
TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:36 am 
TVBox wrote:
You have to remember that this program / driver is for all Linux distributions and not geared specifically to Knoppmyth that already has a functioning MCE lric. Lirc_mod_mce installs both the lirc files and the keyboard / mouse driver. We already have a functioning media keys. Now all we should have to do is install the MCE USB keyboard.
Quote:
"mod_mce: Since some new input functions are used in this project, please update your kernel. You have to enable USB and input in your kernel configuration.

The KM guys have already enabled the USB functions or the remote would not work. I think we have to careful not to break things that are not broken, as of yet anyway. I will start a new thread tonight.

Yes I realise that this driver is for (theoretically) any Linux distribution but it wasn't clear (to me anyway) which of the three options I needed to compile & install to work with the Microsoft remote & USB receiver that I'd setup LIRC for.

I'll try compiling mod_mce on my KnoppMyth box at home as per your correction and see where that gets me.

However at work I've quickly downloaded & successfully compilied mod_mce on a test SUSE Linux 10.1 box. Looking at the code it appears to require usb_input.h if the kernel is < 2.6.19 - KnoppMyth is 2.6.18 (my SUSE Linux 10.1 box is 2.6.16). I've confirmed this on a test VMware install of KnoppMyth R5E50 - it complains about missing usb_input.h and doesn't compile. So it would appear that KnoppMyth is (at least) missing usb_input.h (which exists on my SUSE Linux 10.1 box with a lower version of kernel) ...

Look forward to reading your thread to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Simon

Edit: My test box is running SUSE Linux 10.1 not openSUSE 10.2

Last edited by simonflood on Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:13 am 
simonflood said:
Quote:
KnoppMyth R5E50 - it complains about missing usb_input.h and doesn't compile.

I didn't see your post until I posted http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14824
Just for you information what I know about compiling a program could fit in a thimble, you are the expert here. Could you post the steps you used to compile the mod_mce driver in the new post so I can learn how to do it and also post you experience with the usb input.h issue. Maybe some one on the list has a working knowledge of the KM usb area. I would still like to get the mod_mce driver working to see if there really is a issue between the lirc and the usb sections but I have this feeling there may another interaction between them because of a few lines of code I read in the driver.
TVBox

New Thread
MCE Keyboard driver install on R5E50

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14824

Last edited by TVBox on Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:09 am 
TVBox wrote:
Just for you information what I know about compiling a program could fit in a thimble, you are the expert here. Could you post the steps you used to compile the mod_mce driver in the new post so I can learn how to do it and also post you experience with the usb input.h issue. Maybe some one on the list has a working knowledge of the KM usb area. I would still like to get the mod_mce driver working to see if there really is a issue between the lirc and the usb sections but I have this feeling there may another interaction between them because of a few lines of code I read in the driver.

I've now replied in that new thread with what I've done & tried.

The missing usb_input.h file seems to be the key - it's minimal and no other files are required to compile mod_mce (or variants). As to why it's missing though ...

Simon