View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:45 am 
I just installed R5E50 and have several questions:

1. Should I see a mouse pointer in the MythTV screens? It's obvious how to use the keyboard to get around, but I see a flash of the mouse pointer when I move the mouse. Is that intentional?

2. I can get a TV picture on my monitor (I haven't tried my hooking up to a TV yet), but only for Comcast Monterey channels 2-82. I have configured Zap2It for Comcast Monterey Digital. I should be seeing SDTV channels 107-593, but when I try, the channel does not change. I should also be seeing QAM HDTV channels 702, 705, and 706, but again the channel does not change.

3. I tried following neutron68's instructions of things that have to be done before xvmc will work with HDTV playback, starting with the fix in tjc's r5e50 guide (known issue #10) to edit the file /usr/lib/XvMCConfig, but the file does not exist on my machine. Is there a new procedure to get xvmc working in r5e50?

4. My capture card is correctly showing up as Dvico FusionHDTV 5 Gold, but as an Analog V4L Capture Card. Should this be DVB DTV instead?

5. In Connect Source to Input, I specify Comcast and Fetch Channels for Listing Source. On Esc, Esc, I see the warning, "Card 0 (type ) is set to start on channel 2, which does not exist." But I can watch TV just fine. What's up?

6. In the Channel Editor, channels 2-82 are listed as "Adding Channel xx (xx) (Comcast), but all the upper channels are listed with their names. I know that I can manually input the lower channels, but why am I not automatically getting the channel names for the lower channels?

System:
Motherboard: Mach Speed MK8-939A
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Sound, network: On-board
Memory: 512 MB DDR 400
Graphics: EVGA GeForce 6200 AGP 256 MB DDR
Tuner: Dvico FusionHDTV 5 Gold[/code]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:56 am 
shanteau wrote:
3. I tried following neutron68's instructions of things that have to be done before xvmc will work with HDTV playback, starting with the fix in tjc's r5e50 guide (known issue #10) to edit the file /usr/lib/XvMCConfig, but the file does not exist on my machine. Is there a new procedure to get xvmc working in r5e50?

You need to make that change in /etc/X11/XvMCConfig. It's the path in the XvMCConfig file that changed, not the path to it.

shanteau wrote:
5. In Connect Source to Input, I specify Comcast and Fetch Channels for Listing Source. On Esc, Esc, I see the warning, "Card 0 (type ) is set to start on channel 2, which does not exist." But I can watch TV just fine. What's up?

It's a known issue with stale records in the cardinput table. See the second page of this thread: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14597postorder=asc&start=15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:46 pm 
[quote="tjc"][quote="shanteau"]3. I tried following neutron68's instructions of things that have to be done before xvmc will work with HDTV playback, starting with the fix in tjc's r5e50 guide (known issue #10) to edit the file /usr/lib/XvMCConfig, but the file does not exist on my machine. Is there a new procedure to get xvmc working in r5e50?[/quote]
You need to make that change in [color=red]/etc/X11/XvMCConfig[/color]. It's the path [u]in[/u] the XvMCConfig file that changed, not the path [u]to[/u] it.

There is no directory /etc/x11 on my computer.

[quote="shanteau"]5. In Connect Source to Input, I specify Comcast and Fetch Channels for Listing Source. On Esc, Esc, I see the warning, "Card 0 (type ) is set to start on channel 2, which does not exist." But I can watch TV just fine. What's up?[/quote]
It's a known issue with stale records in the cardinput table. See the second page of this thread: [url]http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14597postorder=asc&start=15[/url][/quote]

This post says to use the code "delete from cardinput where cardid=0"
Is that entered in sh or mysql. If mysql, how? I tried, but it failed with a request for the name of the database.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:18 pm 
shanteau wrote:

This is Unix, case matters. It's /etc/X11 with an uppercase X. See: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips
shanteau wrote:
Is that entered in sh or mysql. If mysql, how? I tried, but it failed with a request for the name of the database.

There were example mysql commands on the previous page of that thread.
Code:
mysql -u root mythconverg -e "delete from cardinput where cardid=0"

Again please note that unless you have enough Unix/Linux experience to "know better", you should use the exact case and punctuation given there. Setting things up so that you can cut & paste from a browser to a shell session on your KnoppMyth box is highly recommended since it makes using these samples easier.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:42 am 
tjc wrote:
shanteau wrote:

This is Unix, case matters. It's /etc/X11 with an uppercase X. See: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips

I know about upper/lower case in Unix. I used a PDP11 under BSD when I taught at Purdue University in the early 1980's. This time I simply did not see the difference between x and X. (My eyes aren't what they used to be.)
tjc wrote:
shanteau wrote:

There were example mysql commands on the previous page of that thread.
Code:
mysql -u root mythconverg -e "delete from cardinput where cardid=0"

Again please note that unless you have enough Unix/Linux experience to "know better", you should use the exact case and punctuation given there. Setting things up so that you can cut & paste from a browser to a shell session on your KnoppMyth box is highly recommended since it makes using these samples easier.

I see now that the mysql commands are entered in a shell. I believe that I successfully entered the command to delete cardid=0 entries but all I got in response was another prompt. I still see one such entry when I escape from setup. Oh well, I just highlight "Yes, I know what I'm doing" and go on without any apparent ill effect.

I would like to cut and paste from a browser in my MythBox, but I don't see a browser in the installation. I see that LinuxTips recommends Putty for connecting to my Win2000 machine, so I'll try that. Once the MythBox is in the entertainment unit in the living room and connected to the TV, connecting to it over my LAN to make changes will be a lot more convenient than having a keyboard in the living room.

I have been following neutron68's instructions for updating the NVIDIA drivers to version 1.0-9746 but he points to
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13443&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
which points to
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13550
which contains several modifications to the poster's instructions in case something goes wrong, which I don't know how to diagnose. I see myself getting in way over my head here.

One major reason I am building this MythBox is so that I can watch QAM HDTV channels. If KnoppMyth can't do that off the bat with a recommended NVIDIA display card using xvmc, then I will probably have to wait until it can. From here, the learning curve to get that working simply appears too steep.