View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:40 pm 
My first attempt at setting up knoppmyth.

I can complete the entire install. My problem occurs when I reboot the system. I appear to be having problem related to blacksreen after install. I have read the black screen after install article in the wiki. My problem now is that i cant get to the XF86Config-4 file. I can get to \etc but i cannot get to x11 directory. tells me directory not found. However if i do a dir in etc i can see it in the list. I have re-installed several time. problem recurs each time.

To make things a little more interesting I am a complete newb with linux.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Below is my hardware.
athlon3200+
nvidia 7100gs
hp pvr 350
1 gig ram
130gig sata hdd
generic mboard with nforce chipset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:27 pm 
Did you try X11 (note capital 'X')?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:44 pm 
As mudguts says it's X11, not x11. *nix is case-sensitive. Also, if you are installing R5E50 (you didn't mention which version) then you are looking for xorg.conf instead of XF86Config-4, as the latest Knoppmyth uses the x.org X server. Check http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13108 for more information on R5E50 stumbling blocks and solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:46 pm 
Thanks, that allowed me to get to the directory. I am installing R5E50 I am currently trying to install the nvidia drivers. I have completed all the steps in the install guide. I am stuck at the step that says to enter the following,
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run /
--kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13

It tells me No such file or directory. Any ideas how to find this file? My old dos dir method doesnt work of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:01 pm 
pathi wrote:
Thanks, that allowed me to get to the directory. I am installing R5E50 I am currently trying to install the nvidia drivers. I have completed all the steps in the install guide. I am stuck at the step that says to enter the following,
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9746-pkg1.run /
--kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18-chw-13

It tells me No such file or directory. Any ideas how to find this file? My old dos dir method doesnt work of course.
What install guide are you following? Keep in mind that any Wiki/forum post you find will be dated to some extent, look for tips on the particular version you are using.

As you have stated you are new to Linux, I am wondering why you are trying to install a different nVidia driver? Is there something that isn't working for you in the stock setup? Also, if you post your overall expectations/needs there is a better chance of finding someone here that has "been there, done that".

Some links that you will find helpful:
http://knoppmythwiki.org/ -> For most anything Knoppmyth (KM) related (and otherwise)
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips -> Some general Linux help

And be sure to read through the forums here, as your situation has almost assuredly already been dealt with by others...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:30 pm 
Thanks slowtolearn. I am using the install guide from the wiki. The reason I am trying to install updated drivers is because I cant get x to load. when I boot the last thing I see is Checking video driver install then I get a black screen with a cursor in the top left of screen. I cant do anything at this point other than reset the machine.

Now I'm getting Line 801 /dev/null permission denied errors when I run the driver pkg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:00 pm 
pathi wrote:
Thanks slowtolearn. I am using the install guide from the wiki. The reason I am trying to install updated drivers is because I cant get x to load. when I boot the last thing I see is Checking video driver install then I get a black screen with a cursor in the top left of screen. I cant do anything at this point other than reset the machine.
Sorry, I'm running R5D1 + .20 (version before yours) so I don't know any R5E50 specifics, but have you searched the forums? A quick search yielded http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=7100gs which may help...

pathi wrote:
Now I'm getting Line 801 /dev/null permission denied errors when I run the driver pkg.
I'm guessing you are not running this as root. Try
Code:
su <enter>
<enter the Admin password you supplied during installation>