View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:11 pm 
I tried installing the backend to a 2GB USB key as my Hard disk has XP on it and is nearly full and i want to try Myth without repartitioning my Hard disk for now so i can see how it works, mainly for viewing live TV.

the installation went fine, i cleared the FAT32 partition and then booted the Knoppmyth CD and created a new partition for linux which i marked as bootable and all the files copied over and installation completed without error...

However even though my BIOS claims it can boot USB device this doesent seem to work, and i dont think the BIOS is even seeing the key as a boot device i get a "select proper boot device" at startup..

My question here is, is there any other way of booting the Knoppmyth that was instlalled swith it still being on the memory stick but creating the bootloader from either a Floppy or CD? sorry if this question seems obvious but i am very new to linux.

any help appreciated

cheers

Geforce 6600
Creative Audigy 2 Soundblaster
Skystar 1 DVBC
Skystar 2 DVBS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 9:14 pm 
Hi,
Noble try :) First 2gig just barly will squeeze to install but if you get to run yu will be immediately out of space. You should be abla to make it go on a 4gig stick. The trick is to get the usb to boot. I am trying something simular with a real usb drive but I am still missing a piece as I hit a kernel panic part way through. Working with R5C7 as R5F1 gave a ton of other errors.

I cheated and also install ubuntu so I can work within the drive. (A bit more than 4gig needed)

Anyway, I think a gent went down this path a few months back and he had to add something to the intrd

Mike