View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:23 am 
I am trying to upgrade the kernel in knoppmyth.
The reason for this is that i have a Hauppauge nova-t 500
This card experiences random disconnects from the usb bus and this problem is reportedly less frequent with the 2.6.21.1 kernel in combination with the latest hg v4l-dvb

My problem is that when trying to boot with the new kernel, the proc filesystem does not get mounted. this causes a lot of failure of other processes during startup.

After booting is completed i can mount /proc from the command line without problem.

So my question is: why is this happening? where do i look to fix this problem? What have i missed?

/Nils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:41 pm 
Look in your /etc/fstab file and make sure it has an entry for proc. This is a typical computer (although not my KM box):

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 1:54 am 
Thanks for the answer.
I wish that it was that simple.
The fstab is ok. It works with the 2.6.18 kernel.
Its more like the during boot of the 2.6.21 kernel somehow the mounting of the /proc filesystem fails silently.
I have added support for procfs and sysfs in the kernel.
After boot
mount /proc
works and then i can access the proc filesystem.

I have installed the 2.6.21 kernel on Mepis (debian/ubuntu based) without problems so i suspect there is some difference in the startup scripts on knoppmyth.

But so far i have not been able to find it.

Any suggestions where to look for the problem is welcome.

Regards,
Nils

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:53 pm 
OP, I need to do this as well because I have heard that some libata sata bugs that affect my sata pci card have been fixed.

I changed the /etc/apt/sources.list from stable to testing. Then I apt-get get the prepackaged kernel for k7 (athalon xp) verify the /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo to update the mbr.
Reboot, delays on lirc hardware and nvidia driver update, but starts mysql and backend. uname -a shows the latest testing kernel, and the backend is working great recording all my programs and working with the slaves well. However, the lirc and nvidia modules don't appear to be setup or working so I don't get a frontend, just keeps attempting to respawn.

Suggested to build the nvidia kernel module for the newer 2.6.21.1 kernel.

I read something that says to build the modules
m-a update
m-a prepare
apt-get the 2.6.21.1 headers

It fails trying to get nvidia kernel common source which must not be in testing.

The bugs in the sata kernel code for my sata pci card appear to be gone though.

I would like to make a wiki page that explains how to upgrade to the latest prepackaged kernel and compile the relevant kernel modules if that is possible without breaking knoppmyth. It would be a step closer to being able to apt-get update a knoppmyth system for security and stability fixes.

I compared the config between cecils and the debian stock kernel. Seems very different in that most of debian's options are set to "m" modules while cecils say "y" aka compiled into the kernel.

An alternative is to download the debian testing kernel source and use cecils config to compile a custom kernel. I guess that would mean patching the kernel with all the foreign drivers somehow.

I suspect I may just have to wait until the next release to get my SATA drives working. As a backend thought everything seems to be working beautiful with the stock config. If anyone knows if cecil makes his source patches and steps to compile public that may make such a wiki page possible. However, if it is too much trouble I will obviously need to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 pm 
Site Admin
You can gunzip the initird and have it mount proc in there....

Post subject: gunzip tinitrd
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:45 am 
There are some details of how to make changes to the tinitrd ramdisk as part of http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=NovaT500. It might give you an idea of the steps you will need to take.

Babblefish