View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Questions from a newb.
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:49 pm 
Hi all...

Got some questions, hopefully they're not too dumb -

I've plowed through the auto-install procedure, everything is fairly straightforward and I didn't hit any major configuration issues.

My questions are:

I've installed to a 6gb hard drive; on the same channel I have a DVDRW. On the secondary channel I have 120gb worth of drives. Those are the ones I want to record to. They have old installs of WinXP and other sundry things I don't care about. How do I go about formatting them and pointing KnoppMyth at them so it records there? By default it seems to want to just use the one drive.

Also, when I boot up I get a LiLo boot menu(hope that's the right terminology) asking if I want to start XP on either of the drives or Linux - which I realize is referring to the Knoppix/MythTV environment, and I'm guessing that will go away once I nuke those drives and prep them for MythTv (which goes back to my original question...)

Anyway, the other big snag right now is video capture. I have an old Miro DC30 (not a DC30+, just a vanilla DC30), but once I get to the initial bootup after doing the quick install off of the CD, it reports that it can't define the card (I believe that's what it says - it passes by too quickly for me to get everything down on paper), and then when I'm configuring the install of MythTV, when I'm setting up the capture device, I cursor over to "MJpeg Capture Card (Matrox G200, DC10)", but it won't display anything but "Failed to open".

What am I missing?

The system is configged thusly:

Syntax SV266A motherboard w/integrated sound and NIC (AC'97 and VT6103, respectively)

512mb of PC2700 RAM
Geforce3 TI w/64mb RAM
The noted Miro DC30 card

3 HDs - 1 6gb, 1 40gb, 1 80gb (the first is a fujitsu, the other two are WDC drives)

Lite-on DVDRW, 8x dual layer

CPU is an Athlon 2200 @ 2.0ghz

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:29 pm 
Mything Man wrote:
I've installed to a 6gb hard drive; on the same channel I have a DVDRW. On the secondary channel I have 120gb worth of drives. Those are the ones I want to record to. They have old installs of WinXP and other sundry things I don't care about. How do I go about formatting them and pointing KnoppMyth at them so it records there? By default it seems to want to just use the one drive.
Well, depending on your Linux knowledge this could be a little overwhelming. As a primer please take a look through http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips To answer the above question as best I can, you'll want to use cfdisk /dev/hdX to partition your disks. hdX refers to each of your other disks, running dmesg | grep hd should give you the devices.

Mything Man wrote:
Also, when I boot up I get a LiLo boot menu(hope that's the right terminology) asking if I want to start XP on either of the drives or Linux - which I realize is referring to the Knoppix/MythTV environment, and I'm guessing that will go away once I nuke those drives and prep them for MythTv
Once you have partitioned the drives you will want to edit /etc/lilo.conf to remove the references to th Windoze partitions. See the reference to nano in the above URL, that's a fairly easily-navigable text editor. Then you would need to run lilo to commit those changes. man lilo will give you the lilo options. All of the above should be done as the root user.

At this point you have to mount these drives into a directory on your "main" drive. This post should give you some ideas http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ight=mount

Mything Man wrote:
Anyway, the other big snag right now is video capture. I have an old Miro DC10 (not a DC10+, just a vanilla DC10), but once I get to the initial bootup after doing the quick install off of the CD, it reports that it can't define the card (I believe that's what it says - it passes by too quickly for me to get everything down on paper), and then when I'm configuring the install of MythTV, when I'm setting up the capture device, I cursor over to "MJpeg Capture Card (Matrox G200, DC10)", but it won't display anything but "Failed to open".

What am I missing?
I have no ideas on this, never heard of the DC10. Hopefully someone else will have something for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:05 pm 
For actually using the extra hard drives as one big hard drive look at this article:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LvmHowTo read this in line with STL's message above.

As to the DC30 I did a little bit of googling and come up with this. At a command prompt as root do this:
Code:
modprobe zr36067

This is the driver for the zoran boards that is included with the 2.6.x kernel.

After doing your modprobe reboot your computer and check your dmesg for how the detection went.

Last edited by Girkers on Mon May 28, 2007 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:00 pm 
Hi
You could download a live gparted cd and then be able to set up the drive partitions using a gui. Also look for Cecil's pamphlet, it is some where on the main home mysettopbox.tv page. There are details in how to format the media drives. Suggest starting with the large one and then later add any secondary additions.

Some folks use LVM to tie two drives together.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:54 pm 
If it were my box, I'd avoid LVM, (for simplicity's sake, not technology.) I'd let Myth auto-install to the 6Gb drive. The 40 and the 80 I'd wipe everything from. I'd put a single partition on each and format them xfs. I'd then mount the 40Gb on /myth/video and the 80Gb on /myth/tv

The nice thing about that setup is that you can pretty easily replace any of the drives with larger models down the road.