View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: TV Resolution
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:02 am 
Can someone walk me through how to change the resolution for my tv. When I install knoppmyth I had it hooked up to my crt but told knoppmyth when I first started the installation "tv" I think my installation detected the monitor and ignored my "tv" command. BTW I am a newbie and I need specific instructions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:04 am 
I should also mention it is a regular rear projection tv. It is not HD. The reason why I ask, is because myth doesn't fill the whole screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:24 am 
JScrivener wrote:
I should also mention it is a regular rear projection tv. It is not HD. The reason why I ask, is because myth doesn't fill the whole screen.
See http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php? ... Transition for some info. Searching these forums for "modeline" and your video card may turn up more options (you might try searching for your TV model as well).

On my TVs I adjusted the height/width/offsets in Utilities/Setup -> Setup -> Appearance -> Screen Settings (2nd page of Appearance).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:11 am 
My problem is once I type "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" I then have no idea what to do. I have no idea what to edit, how to edit it, and what to change it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:21 am 
JScrivener wrote:
My problem is once I type "nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" I then have no idea what to do. I have no idea what to edit, how to edit it, and what to change it to.
This will vary greatly depending on the hardware/TV being used. You will need to provide details (motherboard, video card, etc.) for someone to suggest any changes to make to xorg.conf. If you happen to have an nVidia-based video card, see http://http.download.nvidia.com/XFree86 ... dix-d.html

Chances are changing the options in Setup that I mentioned will get you where you want to be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:55 am 
Slowtolearn, thank you for your patience with me. I tried the Setup option but all that seems to do is change the size and position of the myth UI within Knoppix. My problem is that I have a black border all the way around myth and knoppix. The worst part about it, I can barely read the words in terminal. I think if I can change the resolution, it will fix these problems. I do have a NVidia video card but Im sorry to say that these links you are giving me, I just look at them and go cross-eyed. When I am in xorg.conf, under monitor it says "Vendor DEL" which I assume means my Dell monitor that this mythbox was originally setup with. Further down I see about 20 different modelines with different refresh rates and resolutions. I don't know if any of this helps but I do not have a freakin' clue to what I am doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:15 am 
When you are in the xorg.conf you need to edit the section under "Monitor". In this section you will have a lot of Modeline these are the lines that tell the computer what resolutions to try, we can safely leave them for the moment.

Above these insert the following (dependent on you video card):
Code:
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"

If you refer to the wiki page as stated by STL you will see more information about each of these settings. Once you have edited xorg.conf I would suggest the easiest thing to do would be to reboot your computer and this should hopefully get the picture out onto your TV, then we can worry about the black bars (if they still exist).