View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R5D1 Cesman please read
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:32 pm 
I reinstalled r5d1 and found that trying to add vnc(apt-get update, apt-get install x11vnc), (which is not included) wanted me to upgrade 200 some packages, I did this. Now it does not boot. I get a kernel panic.

the first time i installed this i did not have to install all these packages. Can this be fixed? I want to stay with this version, it does all that i need.

If not, I need to find a way to make xine the default media player on the other 2 versions.

I tried to add xine to the video settings, but mplayer was still used. Pluss lricrc would not pick up my new xine settings..

hmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:56 pm 
To get xine to play your videos you need to ensure you are using the right file extension. I have personally added the xvid extension and told it to use xine and it works fine.

If you do a google on xine and lirc you may find there is lots and lots of info or failing that post a specific question.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:09 am 
donjski wrote:
I reinstalled r5d1 and found that trying to add vnc(apt-get update, apt-get install x11vnc), (which is not included) wanted me to upgrade 200 some packages, I did this. Now it does not boot. I get a kernel panic.

OK, This is one of those things that is covered on the http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=SwitchingToStableAPTRepository page about being careful and saying "NO" when it looks crazy. You can easily hose your system with apt-get _especially_ if you try updating packages on an old version, and R5D1 is an old version at this point.

donjski wrote:
the first time i installed this i did not have to install all these packages. Can this be fixed? I want to stay with this version, it does all that i need.

That was then, time and the repositories move on. Stable now is at least a full debian release past stable then. See my comments to someone else last night about the diminishing returns with trying to patch up old versions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:05 am 
Hi,

As an insurance against progress, I most always save out a copy of the deb files after installing an app. Two reasons, one is to make a reinstall (Sometimes when I play, it gets bent :) ) quickly as I can simply run dpkg -i to reinstall the good apps and second is if weeks, months or more later I want to rebuild an older version system all I have to do is copy the debs from my memory stick and install those apps.

I run synaptic to search for tools & apps and then will know what the name is and what it wants to add. I actually install using apt-get so I can make sure what it is going to add, update or want to remove. You are safe to add, never to delete and "ify" to update.

An example of a safe update is setserial.

Hope this offers a little insight.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:11 pm 
Thanks for all input.

I guess I will just Reinstall the latest version for the umteenth time, and keep posting here for the changes I would like to make. If i cannot find them in the forum.

It seems as though the lastest version R5F1 is pretty new and not alot has been said about it yet. Pleas correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:16 pm 
While R5F1 is relatively new (May 11th) things have been quiet mostly because it's an exceptionally solid release. The few issues it's had have been minor (see the R5F1 Hints thread) and have been quickly resolved. If you read through that thread carefully before upgrading or installing and follow the links to discussions for things like the flakey Hauppauge remote issues and ambiguous restore issues you shouldn't have any surprises.

Post subject: so sweet
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:08 pm 
tjc wrote:
While R5F1 is relatively new (May 11th) things have been quiet mostly because it's an exceptionally solid release.

I agree. There's not much to say because R5F1 is a very solid release. I maintain a Knoppmyth machine for one of my friends and I felt it was enough of an improvement to move him from R5D1. Thus far, he's had no regrets.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner