View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:56 pm 
mjl wrote:
it is always nice to see a friendly face occasionally. I don't normally spend much time looking at my desktop anyway as the system just runs.

Ditto. Also I only recently found out the black guy in the picture was Cecil.

Cecil's worked very hard to bring us this brillliant OS, and IMO he deserves to at least get his face on it :-)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:57 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for the idea but yes. It seems to be checking against some list so even with the man page gone it still thinks it is there. It would be nice to figure it out as that is about the only preferred tool I can't install.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:49 pm 
mjl wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the idea but yes. It seems to be checking against some list so even with the man page gone it still thinks it is there. It would be nice to figure it out as that is about the only preferred tool I can't install.

Mike

You can overwrite it, with --force-install (I think) as an apt-get argument.

Alternatively... what pkg is it from? Run "dpkg -S <path-to-offending-man-page>" to find out

From there, you can remove the package with "apt-get remove <pkg>" or dpkg -P <pkg>

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:48 pm 
If you are trying to run open office, I think you are using the wrong distribution.

IMHO, you should be running a desktop distribution and add mythtv to as an add on application. If I were you I would try Ubuntu and then add mythtv to that. There are packages for ubuntu I think... if you google you will see.

I use ubuntu feisty for my desktop and am pretty happy with it. I may one day add the mythfrontend to it, but I can't really think of what I would use it for. I can use vnc to run the frontend conncted to my tv if i need to. if I only had one computer, then sure. But why not just dedicate an old computer connected to the tv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:10 pm 
Hi,

I like KM, I use it for most everything including as a pvr :) (need to get wireless going someday) and that is basicly the only reason I run Ubuntu, for wireless when I am out on the road for a remote task. I even have to run, gulp, M$ for one single special client app so I triple boot. End of problems.

However I was to be able to use OO in KM but not now with F1. manicmike gave me a couple pointers to check out which I will in a day or so.

With KM, I simply open what ever I need / want to use and then alt tab between then. Then again, not everyone likes to drive a Chevy either.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:32 pm 
randomhtpcguy wrote:
I use ubuntu feisty for my desktop and am pretty happy with it. I may one day add the mythfrontend to it, but I can't really think of what I would use it for.

I have feisty on a notebook; I put the front end on it so I could tweak one show's cut list while watching a different show. -- I havn't seen a commercial more than a frame at a time in over a year.

Go to page Previous  1, 2