View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:27 pm 
Hi,

Mythtv virgin, and want to try it out. Has anyone installed R5F1 on a system that only has SATA drives (750GB disk plus a SATA dvd burner)? The MB is an Asus based on the new Intel P35 chipset.

When I boot from the SATA CD drive, it complains about not being able to find the Knoppmyth kernel (or something like that) so I plugged in a USB CD drive and got it to boot. When I get to the screen where I can do a manual install, it crashes, saying something about needing 7 options and only seeing 4? (Sorry, not in front of the system right now to get the exact error message).

I think the issue is that the kernel on R5F1 doesnt support the P35 chipset's SATA controller, because dmesg doesnt see any drives.

Has anyone ran into this?

Thanks

----------

Edit: Sorry guys, posted this to the wrong forum. MODS, can I bug you to move this for me? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am 
SATA has been problematic. I imagine that this is being worked on.

There is a handy search function in the newsgroup, which, I like to use before posting questions. Admittedly though, I don't always know the right word to search on.

I have found 'hints and tips' to be very helpful and can solve \ prevent many installation issues:

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15195

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:31 am 
I have an "older" motherboard, meaning it probably came out 2-3 years ago. I have a SATA HD and IDE DVD burner, and had no problems with install. You only need a CD reader to do the install, see if you can take an IDE one from another machine or buy one cheap to at least get you started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:59 pm 
gatorback wrote:
http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15195

That link won't work for most people. The cannonical form is: http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15195 without the "www."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:07 pm 
mogator88 wrote:
I have an "older" motherboard, meaning it probably came out 2-3 years ago. I have a SATA HD and IDE DVD burner, and had no problems with install. You only need a CD reader to do the install, see if you can take an IDE one from another machine or buy one cheap to at least get you started.
I have an Asus M2NPV-VM and R5F1 installed fine with an IDE DVD burner and a 500G SATA drive. So the trick seems to be using IDE for the CD reader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:08 am 
I am remembering that I had to change the jumper setting on the DVD drive to boot from the KM install CD. Otherwise no troubles.