View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Reboot Error
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:30 pm 
New to the forums.

Okay guys, just did a fresh install of KnoppMyth R5F1. Got the install done correctly, or so it seems, got it configured. I was even able to record a show, and watch live TV. No problems. Until I deleted my test recording. It froze up, so I did a cold boot. After that, LILO hangs when "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated..."

So, I tinkered with it for a while, and finally went and reinstalled. Got everything working correctly again. So, I decided to try and reboot. It didn't lock or anything, shut down correctly, etc. Then, when it started back up, same deal. Froze on "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...".

Please help guys, I'm at a complete loss. Thanks in advance.

-Josh-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:08 pm 
Site Admin
Details or lack there of... Is all your hardware known good? Any exotic settings in your BIOS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:37 am 
cecil wrote:
Details or lack there of... Is all your hardware known good? Any exotic settings in your BIOS?

All the hardware is fine. Like I said, it will start after the initial install, allows me to boot off the hard drive to run the setup and everything. It will allow me to watch TV, record, etc. until I reboot, then mysteriously freezes at the aforementioned command.

I also probed the bios quite thoroughly, and nothing stands out as odd to me.

Any ideas? If there's anything specific you want to know, or want me to look up, let me know. Thanks for the response.

-Josh-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:57 pm 
As Cecil alluded, I think you'll need to list your specific hardware configuration before anyone will even take a stab at answering your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:00 pm 
Specifics, okay:

Celeron 1.0+ Ghz (not sure, this was just a computer that was given to me and I wasn't really concerned with the specs.)
256 MB RAM
120 GB WD HD
40 GB WD HD
WinTV PVR-350 tuner card
Added a firewire card, and there's an old modem in it.

The base of the system is an old gateway, but I added RAM, put in different hard drives, etc. It's got a 48X cd burner. I don't really understand how hardware could be the issue if the live cd can run off of it no problem, then restart without the disc in and it boots properly the first time. I'm going to try an install of Slackware tonight, just to make sure everything works fine that way and it's not a hardware issue, as you're alluding, but I really don't think this is the case.

Edit: After a quick full install, slackware responded normally. Only installed first disc, but hotplugging, etc was used with no issues. Multiple reboots, etc.

Any ideas guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:04 pm 
Firstly, just to make sure, if you don't need them, remove the modem & firewire card.
IIRC Slackware is still using a 2.4 kernel and not using UDEV, so there's a difference there.
I don't know if the install kernel is different to one that is finally installed, so it may be a difference between the two. When you are booting of the HDD you are using slightly different hardware than when you were booting off the CD, so there may be an issue there, maybe checking your HDD cabling, setup or even drive order.
If you reinstall KM and on reboot, still have this problem, it might be worthwhile rebooting with the CD in there so you can access var/log/messages and var/log/dmesg on the root partition of the HDD, to see if the logs are giving you any clue.

Could you try a recent Knoppix or Ubuntu, to try tying down it's a possible kernel/UDEV issue?

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:18 pm 
Just a thought - if your drive is jumpered as "cable select", make sure you are using the correct type of IDE flat-cable - the one with black, blue and gray connectors. The master connector is the one in the middle of the cable. If you have an "old-style" ide cable, then you must set the jumpers to "master" on your hard drive.

This was a case with one of my Windows machines, I guess it is the same with Linux.

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB
FE: 1500MHz Geforce MX200-V, int. audio, 256MB

Post subject: Reboot issue
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:48 pm 
Hi,

I am having the same problem with a fresh install of fresh KnoppMyth R5F1. Installs fine and reboots successfully during the configuration stage. Having run myth and confirmed that it works, I initiated a reboot. Gets to the "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated..." and then sits there forever.

Hardware:
AMD Athlon XP 1500+
Nforce 2
256Mb Ram
80Gb Drive
PVR350
NVidia GForce2 MX400
56K Modem [now removed]

After googling on the topic, I have tried the following diagnosis steps.
1. Removal of the modem.
2. Reinstall from scratch. Same behavior
3. Asserted 'noacpi noapm' at boot time.
4. HD Cabling.
Changed HD cable from Master/Slave -> Cable Select.
Change drive from gray connector (end of IDE cable) to black connector (middle of cable). rebooted and FIXED! Machine boots correctly.

**** PROBLEM SOLVED *********

Suggestion of modifying IDE cable fixed my issue. Auttila you are a legend.

BTW: Quick thanks Cecil and all those helping out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:20 am 
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I didn't have any responses for a couple of days, so I put it on the back burner and stopped checking. I'll be sure to try these out when I get home tonight. Thanks again! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:36 pm 
Okay, well, I tried the suggestions. Still trying some in fact, but so far, no dice. Still freezing. Odd thing I noticed though, when installing off the cd, I noticed that udev still seems to be detecting the firewire, even though I pulled the card, which definitely seems odd. Also, I get a warning when booting the the bios fails acpi and I have to us 'acpi=force' to use acpi. Could this have something to do with it?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Edit: Okay, I used the options at boot time and got rid of the acpi error, but it's still freezing on the same thing. I'm really at a loss here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:53 pm 
Okay, I used a Slax Live Disk, and was able to get the log files.

I'll upload the text documents, otherwise it won't fit in the message.

dmesg.txt (15.6 Kb )
messages.txt (50.9 Kb )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:19 am 
I couldn't get messages.txt to download with Konqueror but I used Firefox and it worked.
Initially, from the logs, there doesn't seem to be an obvious issue here, but I noticed the ivtv-fb messages. Did you set your PVR350 for video out before doing the reboot?

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 am 
bruce_s01 wrote:
I couldn't get messages.txt to download with Konqueror but I used Firefox and it worked.
Initially, from the logs, there doesn't seem to be an obvious issue here, but I noticed the ivtv-fb messages. Did you set your PVR350 for video out before doing the reboot?

Bruce S.

Yeah, I set it to use the TV out (in the actual setup), tested it and it worked when I clicked "watch tv", then after rebooting, same deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:00 am 
This might seem like a silly question but have you checked to see if there is any output on the tv? The display switches from the monitor to the tv after that line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:47 pm 
Zoinks! wrote:
This might seem like a silly question but have you checked to see if there is any output on the tv? The display switches from the monitor to the tv after that line.

Well, I definitely didn't. I guess I better do that, but I wasn't aware that it was supposed to switch to the tv. Haha, I guess you learn something new every day. I'll check that when I get home. If that's all it is, I think I'll feel pretty damned dumb.

Edit: Okay, I'm a moron. I had the computer hooked up to a surround sound receiver and never had that video input up, and had no idea that the monitor wasn't used if you enabled TV out, I thought it just did that when you selected "watch tv" or chose to playback a recording. My apologies to everyone for racking your brains for no reason and a big thanks to Zoinks for the help.

Go to page 1, 2  Next