View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:07 pm 
I read this http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... +to+evilwm but, I don't have an /etc/gdm.

The problem is that I installed nautilus which changed my window manager and now mythfrontend doesn't start on boot.

Ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:27 am 
There's no /etc/gdm after R5E1. The thread at http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15195&highlight=gdm shows it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 pm 
RichardBronosky wrote:
Ideas?

Figure out how to all the convert the FluxBox start up and short cuts to the new window manager?

This really isn't a recommended change unless you are a very very experienced Linux/X hand and can do this mapping without breaking a sweat. A large amount of the automation involved with doing display tuning, automatically starting the front end and providing easy access to things like mythtv-setup is done in places like /etc/X11/fluxbox/keys and /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps

If you do do this or even if you don't, please update the wiki page so somebody else doesn't go down the same gopher hole and discover they're hosed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:42 pm 
tjc wrote:
This really isn't a recommended change unless you are a very very experienced Linux/X hand and can do this mapping without breaking a sweat.

Yeah, I don't recommend it either. The reason I am asking is that I accidentally switched my Window Manager to Gnome, or Nautilus, or Metacity, or "whatever my Ubuntu laptop is using"! In order to figure out why I keep getting prompted to import photos when I insert the CF from my camera, I installed Nautilus. After that, no more Fluxbox. I want Fluxbox back.

I really don't want to have to reinstall KnoppMyth to get it. So, ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:37 am 
You were probably getting the popup because of the "gnome-volume-manager" being started in /home/mythtv/.fluxbox/apps and this is easy to disable by simply removing the appropriate line.

Unfortunately my answer for getting fluxbox back is probably one you don't want to hear, rename the /home/mythtv directory to something else (e.g. /home/mythtv.old) do a good backup and and auto upgrade to the same version. Afterwards you can diff the two directories and move back any good changes that you want to keep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:16 am 
Yeah, I ended up find gnome-volume-properties and set my import command to "f-spot-import %h" which works wonderfully. But, now I think I have to start over with the whole dang system. CARP!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:49 pm 
Auto upgrading just isn't that hard, or at least it doesn't have to be.

I don't even know how to count the number of auto upgrades I've done. "Hundreds" would be a good starting point. For upgrading back to the same version, R5C7 was probably the peak and in that time frame I once did 20 in a week with 6 of those happening in one day.

All that practice might be making me under estimate the difficulties, but it wouldn't have even been possible if it was all that hard. I'll also admit to having scripted all my little personalizations, but that's just a case of automating my notes, and those I've published for all to use...

As a wise old geek once taught me "If you're afraid of losing something, it just means you need a better backup and restore procedure." ;-)