View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:35 pm 
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the monitor resolution to 640x480, right now it is 1280x1024 which will not work on my projection tv with the VGA input, any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:59 am 
u need to edit your xorg.conf.change the display settings near the end to 640x480

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:05 am 
More specifically... You need to become root, use the editor of your choice to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and near the bottom of the file you will find the "Screen" section, which should start off something like this:
Code:
Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultColorDepth 24

Within that section you will find a number of "Display" subsections, one for each available color depth, you want to make them look like this example with only the "Depth" setting varying:
Code:
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth     1
                Modes "640x480"
        EndSubSection

Note that the mode names used in the "Modes" line must match one or more "Modeline" entries in the "Monitor" section. The use of resolutions for the names is just a convention. You could just as easily have a mode named "FredFlinstone", so long as the names in those two sections match.

Please note that since you apparently failed to specify the install option "tv" when you booted the CD, you also need to change the "Monitor" section to have appropriate scan limits and possibly mode lines. Replace the existing "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" settings and add the mode line:
Code:
        HorizSync 30 - 50
        VertRefresh 60 - 60

# The "magic" modelines borrowed from someone else
        Modeline "640x480" 25.175 640 664 760 800 480 491 493 525 #60Hz

BTW - This all assumes that you are in an NTSC region (North America or Japan) rather than a PAL region (most of the rest).

OBTW - Please review the R5F1 hints to see if there's anything else you missed during the install. They contain lots of pointers to various troubleshooting and howto resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:36 pm 
Thanks for all the help guys...

During the install I never saw the option for 'tv', i just selected the auto install option, and away it went, i didn't do anything else until i started the configuration. I think i will be able to edit those lines and get this figured out...

Should I just delete the other resolution Modelines? and then edit the ones with 640x480 to have the VertRefresh 60-60?

thanks again

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:17 pm 
another question, how the hell do i log in as root under bash shell? I tried to do sudo /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it wouldnt allow me to...then i tried to change to root user by sudo su, and it said mythtv cant do that, thanks again

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:52 pm 
To login as root try:
Code:
su -

Britney

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:00 pm 
psilo357 wrote:
another question, how the hell do i log in as root

See the LinuxTips page on the wiki for this and more http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=LinuxTips

Reading it might take some time, but generally a lot less time than waiting for answers with the same amount of detail and explanation...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:52 pm 
alright, got it working, thanks for all the help everyone...

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:03 pm 
alright, now that that is working to my satisfaction, it would be great if i could hook itup to my digital cable box. As im only using a PVR150 for my capture card, i have the cable split, then one into my card, the other to my digital cable box.

Watching/recording only works on the analog channels, 1-76 here, and it cant tune the digital channes (im guessing since the card doesnt have a digital decoder). My cable box is a motorola with hdtv capabilities, and i do get a dozen or so HD channels. Now, for the output from the cable box im guessing i have to use the coax since it is the only video input my card has, correct? Also, how would i set it up for my motorola remote to change the channel, and maybe even control the recording...

thanks again for any help

peace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:20 pm 
The PVR-150 can take video from a cable box via (in order of preference):
- s-video (multi pin connector)
- composite video (yellow RCA phono jack)
- the tuner (screw on coax)
If your cable box has an s-video or composite output you'll get much better capture quality using that. See these pictures of the 150 & 150MCE for where to connect:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=15-116-625-03.jpg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=15-116-620-01.jpg

To control the box you need an "external tuner script" make a search here requiring all those keywords and you should find lots of info.