View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: MSI NX6200/R5F1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:45 pm 
Hello All,
I had a previously working system (based on MythDora) in which I upgraded the video card to an MSI NX6200 nVidia based graphics card. This is an AMD based system with a PVR-350 in it also.

I decided to do an install from scratch and had Knoppmyth R5F1 do an install frmo scrtach. The install went fine, then I set the datetime and typed in the user and administrator passwords. After the install I noticed one error message that said something to the effect that the sys file system could not be mounted because it was busy or unavailable.

Also, once it got to the line about nVidia it hung and the screen went blank. I have tried installs by specifiying the TV option and not. I have a monitor hooked up to the same MSI video card which is displaying a mirror image of what is on the TV (through S Video).

Does anyone know the significance of the failure to mount sys error and/or whether the MSI NX6200 nVidia based graphics card is compatible?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin
The message regarding /sys can safely be ignored. There is info on the wiki about blank screen, etc.

Post subject: Blank Screen
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:23 pm 
Can you give me a little more direction on the blank screen issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:30 pm 
http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=BlackScreenAfterInstall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:50 pm 
Thanks so much for the info!

I looked up the info in the 6200 section of the URL you pointed me to - and after I put the DVI-VGA adapter on I can now see the monitor. I've gone through the install process and gotten tot he point where MythTV setup is running...

A couple of issues... The Nvidia 6200/S-Video out which was working before (when I was not using the DVI out port with the DVI-VGA adapter) is now just showing a black screen. Is this the expected behavior? Will it be fixed as I go through the myth setup process?

Also, I attempted to follow the directions about downloading a new 6200 nVidia driver - the downloads succeeded but when I ran the shell script it complained about not having kernel source. Do I need to download kernel source - and if so, from where?

Thanks again.

Here are the directions that were on the wiki...

If you are using an Nvidia GeForce 6200 based video card and an analog monitor

"When installing Knoppmyth with a NVIDIA GeForce 6200 video card and an analog monitor, the display would go very dim. It was hardly readable with the brightness turned all the way up.

The solution is to use the digital monitor out on the back of the video card with the analog adapter. This will give you a normal display.

In newer versions of the Nvidia drivers this bug is fixed. To upgrade your Nvidia drivers do the following.

* Start a new session

Ctl Alt F2

* login as root

* cd to your favorite download directory,

cd /tmp/
/etc/init.d/gdm stop
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux ... 2-pkg1.run
wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/nvidi ... 1.0.tar.gz

* then execute the script

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run

* at the end of the process the nvidia installer will restart x-windows for you

do NOT get the latest version of the nvidia driver it does not work nor will it install right. use the driver specified here only.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:31 pm 
Has anyone tried to follow the above instructions?

I found it hard to cleanly shutdown the X server, so I set inittab to 1 and rebooted. But when I did that the nVidia supplied shell script was not able to compile the source because needed kernel source files are missing.

Any pointers to additional info much apprec...

Also, just one other quick question... I have two inputs on my system, a PVR-350 and the firewire from a DCT 6200. I have an s-video coming out of the DCT-6200 into the PVR-350 and firewire coming out of the DCT 6200 into the onboard firewire of a shuttle amd 3700 based computer (nForce 2 based).

When I exit MythSetup it warns me that both of these devices are setup to start at channel 3 but that channel 3 does not exist. I chose 'no, I know what I'm doing (though I obviously don't ;-). But it does not really make sense for s-video to be set to a particular channel - so I'm not sure how to set that in myth-setup.

Also, kind of crazy - but when the DVI output port on the nVidia 6200 is attached to a monitor (via the DVI-VGA) adapter - then no S-video gets output from the 6200 to the TV. But if I plug in the monitor to the VGA output - then I see the boot messages on the TV (via the nVidia 6200 to TV s-video cable). I hope that this is something that is fixed by the nVidia driver...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:50 pm 
Site Admin
That version of the drivers is included w/ KnoppMyth.

Post subject: S-Video/DVI Issues
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:00 pm 
Do you have any idea why I see boot messages on the TV when I have a monitor plugged into VGA on the nvidia 6200, but when I have the monitor plugged into the DVI (with the adapter) then I don't see any boot messages on the TV when the computer boots?

Also, with DVI, after the Myth GUI starts - I see the GUI only on the monitor but not on the TV. I can't get anything out of the s-video when the DVI port is connected...

Post subject: X
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:11 pm 
Do I need to make some kind of custom edit to an X11 conf file so that s-video out on the nVidia 6200 will work? Or should that work with a plain vanilla R5F1 install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:20 am 
There should be a sample xorg.conf file in /etc/X11/ that is set up for video out, you may need to change the TVStandard and TVOutFormat as appropriate for your location.
It might be worthwhile having a look at the nVidia README, as this explains the options and what is valid for them.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 pm 
Hi All,

I have a somewhat plain vanilla setup working right now. I used the PVR-350 tuner 1 to capture the 99 analog channels. All the guide data and everything just worked perfectly.

I'd like to make one small improvement to the system - but not sure at a high level how to go about it. I want to add an S-video input on the PVR-350 as an optional input. Is that possible? I have run an s-video cable from a set top box to the s-video input on the PVR-350. Since I cannot get above channel 99 on the Tuner 1 of the PVR-350, I'd like to just be able to manually set the set top box to a specific channel and then tell Myth to record from S-video input 1. Does that make sense?

Tuner 1 on the PVR-350 is recoding from the device /video0. Does this mean that S-Video1 will need to record from /video1?

Do I need to create another "Capture Card", associate that with a new "Video Source" (it will actually be the same channels - but I've read it is dangerous to use the same video source with 2 capture cards or inputs), and then create a new "Input" to tie all these things together?

If you are using MythWeb or the regular GUI on the TV - how do you tell Myth to record from the secondary input (s-video) instead of the regular Tuner 1 input.

Incidentally, I have a separate coax cable going into Tuner 1. So in those cases when I am recording from analog I'll be able to set the set top box to another channel and watch TV... nice...

Any hints, tips or pointers to additional info most apprec.

Thanks,

Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:19 pm 
klkitts wrote:
When I exit MythSetup it warns me that both of these devices are setup to start at channel 3 but that channel 3 does not exist. I chose 'no, I know what I'm doing (though I obviously don't ;-).

This is covered in the post install set up section of TJC's hints. It also answers many of the other questions you've asked here.

See this post - http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15195

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:54 pm 
If you are starting a new topic, I would recommend starting a new thread, it makes it easier to track and find problems and solutions.

Quote:
Tuner 1 on the PVR-350 is recoding from the device /video0. Does this mean that S-Video1 will need to record from /video1?

No, it will be still be video0.

Quote:
Do I need to create another "Capture Card", associate that with a new "Video Source" (it will actually be the same channels - but I've read it is dangerous to use the same video source with 2 capture cards or inputs), and then create a new "Input" to tie all these things together?

You can use the same Video Source with multiple cards as this allow the use of another tuner when the first one is in use. But your circumstance is different, it's only one card, but has different selectable inputs but can only record from one at a time.

What I would suggest is creating 2 Video Sources, 1 for the channels available for the tuner (call this, for example Century) and 1 for the channels above 99 that are only available from your STB (call this, for example STB).
In Input Connections associate the Video Source "Century" with the tuner input and the Video Source "STB" with the S-Video Input. This will ensure that MythTV won't get confused on what input to use if a channel is duplicated in each source.

I would recommend trying this out before using it seriously, for instance trying to schedule 2 programmes at the same time, 1 from the Tuner range and 1 from the STB range, then maybe one after the other in both directions so it's able to switch between inputs OK.

Though this scenario cries out for another capture card. :)

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject: Tune-1/S-Video
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:54 pm 
i realize that only 1 of the two inputs could be in use at any time - that is perfectly fine.

I have searched through the Mythtv user's guide and one simple question still eludes me. Is there a simple way to tell myth to "record this show 1 time only from the S-video input"? Or do you have to much with "priorities" every time you want to coax Myth into recording from an input that is not the "lowest" or first one created?

Thanks again for the tips...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 pm 
Ah... I think that I found the answer to the question here...

http://www.mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16181

Go to page 1, 2  Next