View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:58 pm 
I've installed knoppmyth on my box and made sure I used the knoppmyth-sata configuration and I beleive I've properly partitioned and formatted everything. My problem is with Lilo - it brings up a menu with but won't actually launch the Linux or Shutdown entries - it just reverts right back to the Lilo menu when I select those options. Here is some background:

I have three SATA drives, two of which are configured as a RAID0 drive for Windows XP. (I will eliminate XP eventually - need it for a few more months.) /dev/sda is the knoppmyth drive, partitioned as
/ = /dev/sda1 (6G)
swap = /dev/sda2 (3G)
/myth = /dev/sda3 (240G)

/dev/sdb and /dev/sdc are the RAID0 drives for XP -- I wish to ignore them for now.

Lilo's menu offers three options: Linux, WindowsNT and Shutdown. As I mentioned above, selecting Linux and shutdown cause lilo to 'blink' and come right back to the menu screen. Some text quickly appears but the screen is cleared too quickly to read it. Something about "Loading xxx", if I remember correctly.

Selecting 'WindowsNT" hangs the system : not surprising since it probably doesn't understand the RAID0 setup. I don't care if I get Windows to boot from Lilo or not - it will be completely wiped soon anyways.

I've tried booting from the CD and doing a chroot to diagnose lilo, but it seems fine.

The lilo.conf file seems to point to the right kernel image.

Any thoughts? What should I look for in lilo's output or in lilo.conf?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:38 am 
I've managed to get a glimpse of the Lilo error: "Block Move Error 0x03"

Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks,
Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:26 am 
Hi,

Just an idea for you. What I would do is use gparted to carve out 6 ~ 8 gig from the top of the sda4. Then also install Ubuntu (7.04 is good). That will load in the grub boot loader and give you an easy menu file to adjust as needed (upgrades etc) for your windows, & KM

Other path is to reboot with the install cd, exit out at the menu and go through the steps to chroot so you can get at lilo to edit it. A little google should offer a lot of lilo reading material.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:15 am 
rsavoie wrote:
I've managed to get a glimpse of the Lilo error: "Block Move Error 0x03"

Does that make sense to anyone?

Thanks,
Ray
Block move errors appear to stem from the BIOS - See http://groups.google.com/group/mlist.li ... c644698e75 among others (really, the keyboard?)

You may have some funky settings in your /etc/lilo.conf, could you post that?

What are your hardware specs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:46 am 
slowtolearn wrote:
Block move errors appear to stem from the BIOS - See http://groups.google.com/group/mlist.li ... c644698e75 among others (really, the keyboard?)

You may have some funky settings in your /etc/lilo.conf, could you post that?

What are your hardware specs?

Thanks for the help. I didn't get a chance to try much yesterday, but I did mess around with Ubuntu and got some encouraging results.

The system has an Asus motherboard w/ Promise RAID controller, which I now believe may be causing the issue. I also had trouble with Grub when I tried Ubuntu. If I disconnect the two RAID drives, Grub loads. I was still getting some weird problems yesterday -one of the partitions couldn't pass fsck, but I think that is because of how I was messing with KM before. I will re-partition and try again tomorrow.

In a nutshell, it looks like the Promise RAID controller and its associated BIOS extension were messing things up.

Thanks again, will report on more progress later today or tomorrow.

-Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:53 am 
rsavoie wrote:
The system has an Asus motherboard w/ Promise RAID controller, which I now believe may be causing the issue. I also had trouble with Grub when I tried Ubuntu. If I disconnect the two RAID drives, Grub loads.
Your Promise RAID controller is (most likely) fakeraid - See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16249 , and a Google for "Linux fakeraid". Best to install to a single [P,S]ATA drive, or a true hardware RAID setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:31 pm 
slowtolearn wrote:
Your Promise RAID controller is (most likely) fakeraid - See http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16249 , and a Google for "Linux fakeraid". Best to install to a single [P,S]ATA drive, or a true hardware RAID setup.

Yeah, so I gathered from some of the searches I performed. I'll turn it completely off once I've leached all the data I need off of my Winblows installation.

Will experiment more tonight - Thanks again!

-Ray

Post subject: Block move error 0x03
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:36 am 
Ciao I'm Andrea, from Italy
Can you help me?
I try to install ZenCafè but it doesn't work.
At the finish when the PC restart says:
"Block move error 0x03"
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8eaFms8ps

laruotachiodata@libero.it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:02 am 
You can rerun LILO from an unbootable KM machine as I documented in this post.

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18672