View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:04 am 
Hi, I would really like to use Azureus while my computer is on and I am at work. I was reading in the forums about frontend support and it seems like alot of trouble to control it via html. I was wondering how I would go about installing/running it from Xwindows? And if it is running in Xwindows and I restart the frontend, will it continue to work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:51 am 
if you're running the standard knoppmyth install, X using fluxbox is always running underneath mythtv. so you can install azureus and run it from a terminal or add it to the fluxbox menu and run it from there. azureus will continue to do it's thing even if you run myth-frontend. i think you can even close the azureus window and it will continue to do transfers in the background.

however... i'm not sure if you're trying to control it from work, but you won't be able to this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:56 am 
Ok sounds pretty simple. Thank you for all the info. I am embarassed to ask this but... what is involved in the process of installing azureus from terminal and adding it to the fluxbox menu? Also... will i get a GUI when i execute this from the flux box? Just to clarify, fluxbox is the environment with the strange "handshake" background?

Sorry for all the questions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm 
fluxbox is the windows manager that comes with knoppmyth. when you exit myth-frontend, it's the desktop you see with the penguin background. right-click to get to the menu. i've installed KDE, so i can't remember how to add a menu item. really, it's as easy as editing a single text file. the instructions are on this board somewhere. just search for it.

i think azureus only works with the GUI. installing is easy (although you have to install JRE - java runtime environment - first). simply untar an archive and run the command. instructions are here: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/howto_linux.php.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:23 pm 
HI,
KM has a Debian "engine" under the hood so many of your favorite apps can be installed and run fine. If one only had a single computer and was concerned about losing out by dedicating it to be a KM machine would be mistaken.

I add ~20 additional pakages to my typical installs and never miss a recording yet. I am not familiar with the specific app you are seeking but if as root you do an apt-get update then apt-get install <desired app> it will show you what it will change. If it shows only installing x pacakges all should be good to go and KM will stay happy.

If you are not sure of the package name, then the first package to add is synaptic as that way you can "browse" through some of the many items available. Then run the apt-get as root so you can check what it is going to bring in for you.

You can bring the app to life using an xterm (alt x) entering the name (firefox as example), add a hot key to the fluxbox/keys list or even make a button in the menus. Of course if you exit the frontend to the desktop with our two heros & tux, you can right click and the app should be in the menus. You can not save anything to the desk top.

Free tip, make an extra directory in /myth , I call mine "tools" and in there I make another directory called F27-debs. After I have added an app, I then copy the deb into that safe directory. Reason is several months down the road the deb will change and then usually is no longer installable as it looks for certain upgrades. If you save the debs, then you can build / rebuild your KM and always have those special tools to reinstall.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:57 am 
I have Hummingbird Exceed installed on my windows box and was able to xterm under R5D1. After a fresh install of R5F27 I can no longer xterm.

I assume this is because "Freenx" is no longer included. Is it possible to install it on R5F27 with out messing anything up?

Thanks

Tim