View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:45 am 
I recently upgraded to from R5C7 to R5F27 and am having problems with any keyboard I try which are a wired, ACK573, and ACK571. All keyboards are connected using the PS2 connection.

The wired keyboard is behaves better than the wireless keyboards. The keys intermittently get stuck until any key is pressed. Happens when the system is under load and not under load.

I put R5C7 back on the machine, and the keyboards worked perfectly fine in about 10 minutes of pounding away on the keys. The same problem occurs when using R5F1.

I also believe the problem occurred when booted from the R5F27 disk. This wasn't so noticeable because I think the cursor keys might have stuck for one or two extra keystrokes.

Any ideas or pointers to valid threads. I didn't find anything in the forum, unless this is related to the remote control problems. But this really isn't a remote control since it is going through the PS/2 connections and the wired keyboard behaves badly too.

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:54 pm 
Is it possible that your motherboard's ps/2 socket is buggered?

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:49 am 
If there was something wrong with the PS/2 port, why would it show up in R5F1 and R5F27, but not R5C7? I thought about trying a new motherboard, and since no one else is having the problem, one would think it is hardware related. Perhaps R5C7 overcomes the hardware problem somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:25 am 
I have done several fresh installs of R5F27 on same machine and noticed the kbd getting stuck as well.. In my most recent install the problem didn't appear.

I don't think you are having a hardware issue..

Next time it happens try to restart X --

Do a ctl-alt-backspace -- you can't do it via the kbd, try to log into the box via ssh and restart X with a "killall -v X"

If this temporarly solves the problem, my guess is that there something funky going with the x kbd driver.. try changing kbd type in your xorg.conf.

m

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:06 am 
This might be a silly suggestion, but what do you get if you use a USB keyboard (if you have one laying around you can test with)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:29 pm 
Quote:
Do a ctl-alt-backspace -- you can't do it via the kbd, try to log into the box via ssh and restart X with a "killall -v X"

The above does not seem to stop X. It returnes this:
Code:
root@mythtv:/home/user# killall -v X
X: no process killed
Is there a way to restart X remotely?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:56 pm 
I have had this happen a couple times recently too. Must be a new bug..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:41 pm 
tjc's Hints recommends using
Code:
pkill xinit
to restart X and it does, indeed, work through ssh.

As does ctl-alt-backspace through VNC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:15 pm 
I've been having this problem as well. I use an IR keyboard that plugs into the PS/2 port. I've yet to find a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:31 pm 
I have to admit, I had a devil of a time doing a fresh install of R5F27 on one of my Frontend only machines. The wired PS/2 keyboard would go wild and I could never get past the initial setup screens.

And I couldn't Ctrl-Alt into any of the other terminal windows. NONE. All I got were totally black screens.

This was on a machine that had been running R5E50 without a hitch ever since it was released.

Trial and error, over and over, and I finally discovered that if I set ALL serial ports OFF in the BIOS, the keyboard would behave perfectly.

After the installation was complete, I turned one of the serial ports back on for my remote, and there appears to be no problem now.

Weird?

Yeah, but it seems to have worked.

DaveJ45

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:50 pm 
I have disabled all serial ports in my BIOS and I still have this problem. Does anyone else have any suggestions? At times this bug makes my system nearly unusable. From what I've seen here so far it seems to be isolated to PS/2 keyboards with R5F27.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:11 am 
It must be some particular combination of hardware because I have had no problem with my BE or diskless FE systems which both have PS/2 keyboards. My BE is a Compaq EVO D510 P4 2.4 GHz and my FE is a Dell GX240 P4 1.8 GHz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:59 am 
Well, I still have the problem, even after reinstalling without serial ports. I'll need to borrow a keyboard from work and try the USB route. If that works, hopefully I can use a wireless USB keyboard. I guess I know what I'll be doing Saturday morning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:36 pm 
missmyth wrote:
I recently upgraded to from R5C7 to R5F27 and am having problems with any keyboard I try which are a wired, ACK573, and ACK571. All keyboards are connected using the PS2 connection.

I did a R5D1 to R5F27 upgrade a few days ago and am noticing the same thing with an IR keyboard connected to the PS/2 port.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:48 am 
Well, I've gotten no further. I just ordered a PS/2 to USB cable and I'll see if that works better. I borrowed a wired USB keyboard and that seems to be working fine. I post my results once I get the cable.

Go to page 1, 2  Next