View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:14 pm 
I searched the forums and didn't find anything that really matched this problem, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

My KnoppMyth box was running fine with R4V3. It's an AMD 2200+ w/ 512M DDR and 3 HD's (lvm for tv). I had to upgrade my xbox frontends to .15-1 which necessitated upgrading my backend.

I've had intermittant success booting. Currently _all_ it does when trying to boot is hang and flash the CAPS LOCK and scroll lock keys. Nothing had any effect until I disabled my onboard LAN card. Now it appears to boot.

I have 2 K7S5A motherboards, neither onboard LAN works. The LAN on the board with the newer bios doesn't even detect on a normal bootup.

The LAN card was working fine before the upgrade. Can I install a previous version of KnoppMyth and easily update to the newest version of Myth, or is there an actual fix to this that someone knows of?

Thanks

Phill w.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:40 pm 
One further note for posterity:

I had the system up and running with the LAN card not loading. Then, I ran netcardconfig and told it to grab an IP via DHCP. The keyboard lights immediately started flashing.

(Originally I'd been using static IPs, still flashy LEDs.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:08 pm 
what kind of onboard lan does that motherboard have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:37 am 
It appears that it uses the SiSĀ® 735 chipset, and KnoppMyth tries to load the sis900.o module. dmesg reported finding the LAN card when I didn't load the module. After loading, "blinky-blinky".

Also of note, as of R4V3, the onboard sound wasn't usable. (I forget if it locked up or just didn't detect the sound card)

Here's the link to the motherboard:
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/k7s5a.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:58 pm 
Any resolution found for this issue? I have the same motherboard and have to disconnect the cable to my LAN to consistently boot without the lights flashing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:35 am 
My resolution was to buy a new motherboard. I'd been considering an upgrade anyway and this was the last straw.

I picked up a DFI board with onboard everything and SATA: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDe ... 142&depa=0

Also interesting, the new motherbaord did the flashy-light thing when I walked away from the install. I think the install finished and the system tried to drop into suspend mode? Regardless, it works fine now (so far). My only problem is with my sound card and my bttv card, I haven't quite figured that out yet. My PVR-250 works fine (had to recompile ivtv to get sound as explained elsewhere in this forum).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:44 pm 
I have the same problem on a Dell Dimension 8300. Ever since upgrading to R4V4.1, I cannot boot if the network cable is plugged in. The last message is something about eth0 being up.
Device manager says it is an Intel PRO/100 VE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:46 am 
Try goinig into your BIOS on bootup (F1, F2,Ctrl-S, Delete, depending on your motherboard) and disabling your onboard LAN. If you're able to boot into KnoppMyth then and have a spare NIC, you could give that a shot. I tossed in a Kinsington 10/100 card after disabling my onboard LAN and was able to get it running again.

I think you'll want to run netcardconfig and ask knoppix to setup eth1. Asking it to set up eth0 will probably give you lovely flashing lights.

Your system will then access the network with eth1 instead of eth0, but that shouldn't matter in the least.

Phill