View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:37 pm 
Hello:

Put together a Dragon, and now moving onto some other ideas.

I'd like to control my Dragon from an Ethernet connected touchscreen. (Either WiFi, or preferably a cabled connection that could get power over Ethernet.)

I've found some interesting devices from Control4, but I think Control4 has proprietary software interfaces running on top of Linux, so I'm not sure I could use their devices to control my Dragon.

I have speakers in my master bathroom, and I have an ONKYO SR-705 that is controllable via an RS-232 interface. I'm going to hook up my ONKYO SR-705 to the RS-232 on my Dragon, then I'd ultimately like to have a very barebones controller in my bathroom to control the ONKYO and change music. No TV or PVR capabilities - but access to my entire music library, etc.

Anyone embarking on a similar project that would like to compare notes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:03 pm 
Loosely related, my KM box will eventually take care of the sauna. I've already configured it to monitor the air conditioning device for the temperatures and efficiency factor, and my next project will be the sauna.

The idea is that once I start heating it, I'll usually go to watch TV with my wife (for about an hour). The problem is that I have to go and physically check the thermometer every once in a while and when it's 80 degrees C, we're off to sauna.

So, I will be adding two temperature sensors, one to the sauna roof and the other about one meter from the floor. Once correct temperature has been reached, a MythTV will pop up and OSD display stating the temperature and it should also start playing music in the sauna.

To play the music I will need another computer which will be woken once the temperature hits the 80 mark. That computer does nothing except play my music on the Knoppmyth box. I have an old 486, which is small enough to fit into the space I have available for it. First I was thinking of a DOS-based box with command line MP3 player automatcally started, and the /myth/music mounted to it.

But now that you mentioned it, I wonder if they make waterproof touchscreens...

MBE&FE: GeForce MX440, Athlon XP 2000+, MSI KT333 Ultra, onboard audio, 512 MB, 2 x Technotrend T1500 DVB-T, LiteOn DVD±RW 16x DW1650-488C, Seagate 250 GB
FE: 1500MHz Geforce MX200-V, int. audio, 256MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:49 pm 
Ohhhh, remote controlling Onkyo from KM would be sooo cool. I just don't have the technical expertise to back-engineer the circuitry signals.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:52 pm 
I have the rs-232 codes from Onkyo tech support. I will post here tonight when I get home, and will also e-mail them to anyone who requests them.

I have not done anything with them yet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:45 pm 
The RS-232 codes are in an Excel spreadsheet that doesn't post very well. I'd be happy to e-mail this spreadsheet to anyone who private messages me.