View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:35 am 
Seriously, anything that takes over 4 hours to upgrade ain't worth it.

I have read the posts and yet still I can't get further then a black screen or the dumb c7 error message.

I have tried updating, I have tried clean installs, I have tried manual clean installs and now after all that wasted time I am just going to install 5f1. I edited the hell out of the xorg.conf but it just won't do it. Somehow the VIA graphics are DOA in this release. I can not find any other explanation.

The only reason for upgrading was to fix a supposed bug in the xmltv code. For some reason my schedules file exploded and my root volume of 5gb was filled to max. I will just make it 15gb and hope and pray 15gb will be sufficient.

SageTV or MCE and HD Homerun start to look very attractive at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:06 am 
Yep, confirmed. build 5f1 installs without a problem on an external monitor that I dragged over. Where f27 just shows a black screen f1 asks me for my root password. Somehow f27 does not use the right drivers for the via graphics. I use my system as a back end. A Mini is running the client so I don't require a high end gfx card on my real myth box.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:36 am 
flyingdutchman wrote:
Seriously, anything that takes over 4 hours to upgrade ain't worth it.

<snip>

SageTV or MCE and HD Homerun start to look very attractive at this point.

You are welcome to abandon KnoppMyth at any time and go back to closed-source software which has a fraction of KnoppMyth's capabilities. Or, you might buy a clue about what open-source software is all about and offer to HELP. I see no previous posts from you about this problem.

Large hint: This is not the way to motivate people who do not get paid to support belligerent users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:30 am 
Well this is nice:
what open-source software is all about and offer to HELP

I am spending additional time to download, burn and install 5f1 to regress the problem I am running into. I report it in the forums to prevent others from running into the same problem and I get blamed for not being helpful.

Now how is that motivating?

I don't mind investigating problems in open source but a heads up/sticky 'known issue with certain gfx cards' would be good as I thought the problem was the hardware or the component between the keyboard and display.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:34 pm 
Your first post did come across as though you were just moaning about knoppmyth and not willing to be constructive about it. At least now it seems you are actually willing to help fix the problem :)

What's your full hardware spec?

Quote:
but a heads up/sticky 'known issue with certain gfx cards' would be good

I've not seen anyone mentioning problems with via gfx cards (or any via gfx in general) in recent memory so you might actually be the first person to have a problem with it in knoppmyth!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:56 pm 
The error your getting is kicked out when X dosn't start. Most of the time it is related to your xorg.conf and video adapter but other things can cause it.

This may sound simple but, did you test the cd in the computer you are installing it on?

If there are cd issues some of your files could be corupt and it has nothing to do with settings/hardware.

even if you test the cd in a different machine and it test OK there could be an issue with the cdrom or a compatibility issue between the cd-r and the cd-rom. Best way to eliminate that is to do a test.

Run the test and let us know if it test ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:57 pm 
I performed most of these actions yesterday night when I ran into trouble:
-I double checked the ISO MD5 sum to make sure the image was fine
-I burned 2 CDs and made sure they verified with the downloaded image

I initially tried to make an update and when that failed I went for a simple auto install.
I kept running into the same problems, I either got the c7 error messages or just a plain black screen (it was powered though).

So I switched to a plain PC monitor to take out any graphics timing issue out of the setup. And that monitor also just resulted in a plain black (but powered) screen.
Until this point I was convinced the issue I ran into was a hardware or setup problem.

Then I decided to retry the original 5f1 build. That showed me that it was not me nor the hardware but in fact something with the drivers. It worked in one single install.

2 points:
-when the xorg.conf timing is set incorrectly the unit keeps running, ie I can use keys to switch to different terminals
-when I set the timings to an acceptable rate for the HD or just use the plain PC monitor the system seems to hang, I can not switch terminals, the cpu does not seem to be harmed though, the fans don't speed up or so, it just looks like the machine just dies when the higher resolution kicks in on the VIA.

I am right now running on 5f1 again.
If anyone has a good idea I can probably try it tonight to see if I can get f27 to work (by just using a separate HD, should have done this directly to see if a plain install would have worked).

The CD is fine, I think the settings are fine too for the PC monitor, I am suspecting the driver. If someone knows a way to use the driver from f5 on f27 then I can give that a try to identify if its truly the source of the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:24 pm 
I realize this is a collossal time drain, but do any LiveCD distro's of linux work?

- Ubuntu.
- Knoppix. --the original Live CD
- rescuecd.
- You can even use the KM CD as a Frontend, give it a BS IP address for the backend, it will complain about not finding the backend, but that's not material to the driver issue.

I listed the distros I've used in my presumed order of most to least likely to work for you.

Since it sounds like a driver issue, and not a KM issue per se (other than r5f27 has a driver your card doesn't like) it may be that other Linux forums have some insights into what driver you can use. Any help from google?

You may be simply a couple of apt-get's away from a working system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:57 pm 
Site Admin
Flyingdutchman, what Via hardware do you have? If you're interested helping, perhaps you'd like to be a tester to ensure future releases work w/o issue on Via hardware?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:15 pm 
Well, I am blind, I searched for all threads regarding the c7 messages and just ignored the one and most important thread (for me):
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... c&start=15

Its a Via Uni and there is a perfect description in that thread on how to get it to work in there from outcast2k.

I found my 2nd HD so I can always run a plain install test to see if a build is working, just mail me. I will now update my existing installation to get f27 running.

Any chance its possible to make that explanation from outcast2k a sticky on the top of the forums? I am sure someone will run into the same issue as I did yesterday. The first thing someone thinks its that there is an issue with the xorg conf file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:26 pm 
Now linked in the R5F27 Hints.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:54 am 
Thanks!