View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:54 am 
First off lets not turn this into a fixes vs trunk argument thread.

There are several features in the trunk svn that I really like, however after fetching and compiling trunk, things like mythweather, and mythweb become broken.... can't get mythweather to work at all, and in mythweb, it will not show any listings, nor will it let me schedule recordings, which pretty much makes mythweb useless.
I have followed the guide outlined here: http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... hTVFromSVN

And have played with different ./configure augments, but nothing I do seems to work, I have spent countless hours searching forums and threads, but have not come up with a solution to fix these problems.

Now I realize there are usually database changes to milestone releases, and suspect that here in lies my problem.

What I want to know is what is the correct way to insure a clean trunk svn compile so that everything works as it should ?

I'm not so concerned about mythweather... though it is a nice feature, but mythweb fully functional is a must!!!

cecil if you are reading this please enlighten me, I'm sure it is something simple I'm overlooking, but for the life of me can't figure out what.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm 
cyborg wrote:
First off lets not turn this into a fixes vs trunk argument thread.
OK, I won't, but that's it in a nutshell :wink:

cyborg wrote:
There are several features in the trunk svn that I really like, however after fetching and compiling trunk, things like mythweather, and mythweb become broken.... can't get mythweather to work at all, and in mythweb, it will not show any listings, nor will it let me schedule recordings, which pretty much makes mythweb useless.
I have followed the guide outlined here: http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page ... hTVFromSVN

And have played with different ./configure augments, but nothing I do seems to work, I have spent countless hours searching forums and threads, but have not come up with a solution to fix these problems.

Now I realize there are usually database changes to milestone releases, and suspect that here in lies my problem.
These would show themselves as "The backend is running x.xx and this <frontend/plugin> uses y.yy"...

cyborg wrote:
What I want to know is what is the correct way to insure a clean trunk svn compile so that everything works as it should ?

I'm not so concerned about mythweather... though it is a nice feature, but mythweb fully functional is a must!!!
Then you really want to stick with -fixes, or spend alot of time determining which changesets are stable and will give you the features you are looking for.

[personal experience]
SVN (trunk) gives you the latest changes. These may not give you what you are looking for, especially considering all the possible hardware combinations. fixes, as the name implies, is a set of tested changes to a known-good set of code that was officially released. I have had a number of working installations go belly-up compiling and installing from SVN, then turn around the following day or two to find that the devs have made changes that fixed up my problem(s). There is no guarantee that SVN will work for you, as alluded to on their website http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInfo -
Quote:
SVN Access
Instructions for accessing the SVN tree are here. DO NOT use SVN if you have had any problems getting the last release to run. If you're using SVN, it's also a very good idea to subscribe to the commits and dev lists -- I often include update notes and warnings in the commit message.
[/personal experience]

Cecil and/or Dale may have some insight on what to look for on the MythTV pages regarding SVN, but AFAIK they don't use anything but official MythTV releases (and fixes) when producing KnoppMyth.

Search the forums for Watto's "Compile Mythtv" script. It's very helpful.