View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:23 pm 
Not sure if this is the correct place for this question, however, I have just upgraded to r5f27 from r5e50. After a little weirdness due to a bad connection from a vcr, I have it mostly working. The problem I have now is that I have my music files on a separate server on my network. I have set up music settings to point to the directory (samba mounted). However, when I go to music settings it just does the "Searching for Music Files" for hours.

I think I may have screwed it up when I originally started scanning, I accidentally rebooted before it had completed. I do have about 20-30 GB of files however, I have let it run overnight and it never finishes... The scanning progress bar does move back and forth though.

Is there any way to blitz the music database and start over? Or is there a better way to bring this back?

Thanks for your help in Advance.

Rob

Last edited by dothedog on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:28 am 
Hi,

Sometimes one gets an extra directory in the /myth/music (other places too) and that would cause your symptoms.
do a $ ls -al /myth/music and check for a second music entry. It would be a symbolic link and will cause a loop for many levels of the same contents. IF there is a /myth/music/music then you may remove it with $ rm -f /myth/music/music

Retry the scan :)
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:00 pm 
You may want to go with NFS instead of Samba, I have found NFS to be considerably faster. In the meantime check your subdirectories as Mike suggested.

For a point of reference, we have ~42Gb of music and a full scan takes ~1.25 hours. I have read that the devs have found a way to speed that up, should be introduced in .21

Post subject: SOLVED: kinda
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:22 pm 
Well, slowtolearn, I took your advise and just set up an NFS share, it now works as advertised. I still would like to figure out how to get the CIFS stuff working but for now...

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Post subject: Ok its NOT solved...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:19 pm 
I tried the NFS route, and it worked for the audio directory but it messed up my tv recording on the same mount. I couldn't figure out the file permissions. The mythbackend would write the tv files as "root" and I couldn't get the files to play back.

In any event, I tried going back to CIFS mount and lo and behold the audio directory mounts! I can scan my music files and all seemed good. EXCEPT...Now the same thing is happening on the videos directory. I can't list any directories or files in that one now... aargh.

So it appears it is not a problem with the music scanning as much as a permissions issue with CIFS mounting.

Any Ideas???

Rob

Post subject: Re: Ok its NOT solved...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:42 pm 
dothedog wrote:
I tried the NFS route, and it worked for the audio directory but it messed up my tv recording on the same mount. I couldn't figure out the file permissions. The mythbackend would write the tv files as "root" and I couldn't get the files to play back.
Is the backend running as root or mythtv? How are you mounting the filesystem?

dothedog wrote:
In any event, I tried going back to CIFS mount and lo and behold the audio directory mounts! I can scan my music files and all seemed good. EXCEPT...Now the same thing is happening on the videos directory. I can't list any directories or files in that one now... aargh.

So it appears it is not a problem with the music scanning as much as a permissions issue with CIFS mounting.

Any Ideas???
While I would recommend sticking with NFS, see cahlfors' solution here http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17030

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:26 am 
Slowtolearn,
Thanks for the reply. I had tried the uid, gid in my fstab line for cifs and it didn't seem to make a difference. However, you did give me a hint on the nfs stuff. I had been running mythbackend as root and the squash_root thing was probably what was killing me on the nfs mount. I have changed it to run as mythtv. I haven't had time to test it yet, but I will let you know.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:57 pm 
dothedog,

I just su to root and start samba

Code:
su -
/etc/init.d/samba start

Then mount the share I created on my windows box
Code:
`mount -t smbfs -o username=Windows_username,password=xxxx //host_ip_or_name/Windows_share_name /myth/music`

Then scan for new music and it works like a charm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:17 pm 
tscholl,
Thanks for the reply, however, I think the difference is that the share is actually on a linux box. For whatever reason if I mount using smbfs, I can see all the directories correctly but I can't scan music. If I mount using cifs, I can't see the sub-directories for /mnt/public/videos.

I did actually "fix" it by running mythbackend as mythtv and mounting it NFS. All seems to be working now... (crosses fingers).

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:40 am 
Sounds like the real issue then was that the frontend user didn't have permissions to read the subdirectorys on the backend.

Glad to hear you had got it working.