View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:23 pm 
I upgraded from R5F1 to R5F27 at the weekend and like many other had the problem with nvidia card/drivers and x-windows not starting. I searched here there and everywhere and tried all the fixes I found but nothing I did worked.

After trying so many fixes I wasn't sure what state the box was in so I decided to reinstall R5F27 (using auto-upgrade). At the point where it asks about using the splash screen, which I have never used before as it warns about problems with nvidia cards, I thought "Give it a try, it's stuffed anyway."

Guess what? It fixed the problem! It boots without a problem and has the added advantage of looking less like a geek's toy when it boots. Just in time too, my shiny new 37" LCD TV is about to be delivered! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:52 pm 
Can anyone confirm this? I get the respawning problem about 1 out of 3 times rebooting. I also frequently see it stall on updating nvidia drivers line during the boot up.

How would I enable the splash without rebooting?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:02 pm 
I just tried it (enabling the splash screen when performing a upgrade) and I still get the "c7" respawning problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:36 pm 
I get it all the time after trynig to update. First the auto upgrade kept erroring out, so I copied the backup files off and did a fresh install. Now when it boots, it locks the computer up and single user mode will not work with the USB keyboard for some reason. It looks like it is probing for an Nvidia card but I have an ATI so I think this is causing the problem.
Guess I'll have to install something else now as this is unusable :(