View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:01 am 
I'm trying to install R5F27 on an older system to serve exclusively as a third DVB tuner. It's a circa 1997 AMD K6/233 with 98 MB of RAM and a 12 GB Fujitsu PATA hard drive.

The problem is that installation fails almost immediately. I see the Knoppmyth splash screen and the boot prompt. As soon as I hit enter, I see "Loading Linux...." Then, halfway through loading minirt.gz, the computer simply reboots with no warning or explanation. I've tried various boot parameters such as noapic and dma; none have changed the behavior. The only parameter that makes a small change is failsafe, which allows minirt.gz to load, but the computer reboots shortly after without any further information other than "uncompressing linux..."

Let me say what is not causing the problem. All of the hardware is functional, because I could boot up Windows 98 (the operating system currently installed on the hard drive) smoothly before attempting the Knoppmyth installation.

I am also using the same installation disk with which I successfully upgraded my main Myth box, so the disk is not bad.

Lack of RAM could be an issue for this installation, but it's not causing this particular problem. Even Damn Small Linux--in fact, every Linux distro I've tried--has failed at the same point in installation.

There's something about my system and Linux that appears incompatible. Anyone have any ideas?