View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:37 am 
EDIT: Oops, this may fit better in the MythTV board instead of Installation.

I have an R5F27 setup. I bought two KnoppMyth storage hard drives and have them mounted as separate volumes in anticipation of the Storage Directories feature in MythTV 0.21. I didn't realize that version was still in SVN, so I'm only using half of my storage.

I know how to stripe and jbod via LVM but don't want to set up such an anti-fault-tolerant system, so I seem to have three choices:
  1. Run MythTV SVN until 0.21 is released
  2. Wait until MythTV 0.21 is released
  3. Set up a second backend to use the extra drive

1: R5F27's MythTV 0.20.2-7 has been running flawlessly for a month now, so I'm hesitant to try an SVN build. Has anyone started running MythTV SVN under R5F27? Were there any issues or tricks? How's stability?

2: Easy, but I have half my storage unused. I could put everything but TV on one drive and TV on the other, but almost all of my storage is used for HDTV recordings.

3: I understand I could set up a second backend, and its storage--the second drive--can be used. Is this correct? If so, I could set it up on the same machine under Xen, KVM or OpenVZ. Actually, can I just run a second mythbackend process in the same environment? (Probably would need a second launcher, config file and listen port.)

I'm really enjoying my KnoppMyth box. I don't watch TV often, but now when I do I have quite a library to choose from. My favorite shows have a higher priority and a limit of 20 or so recordings so there is room for some lower priority showings. If I think I even might want to watch a show I can just set it to record at a low priority and it's there if I ever get around to it. If not, it gets auto-erased in favor of something newer or higher priority. And now my MythWeb is available on the internet so I can check and change recording schedules from anywhere on a whim.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:48 pm 
BigMoneyJim wrote:
Actually, can I just run a second mythbackend process in the same environment? (Probably would need a second launcher, config file and listen port.)

Upon initial examination I don't think there is a way to run a second mythbackend process on the same server and in the same (virtual) environment. There appears to be no way to specify an alternate configuration by command line. The only configuration option I can see that exists outside the database is the master database connection info. My best guess is that the host name is used to query the database and determine whether this mythbackend is the master or not. (The settings table has a hostname column.)

So if I'm going to run a second mythbackend process on the same PC (my current favorite option to use the second storage volume) I think I'll need a virtual machine to run it in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Admin
Upgrade to SVN...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:50 am 
cecil wrote:
Upgrade to SVN...

That turned out to be relatively easy. (Easier than shoehorning virtualization into my kernel along with my updated audio, video and ethernet drivers.)

I backed up the database and downloaded the SVN source. I saw some mythtv-related scripts under /usr/local so I decided to put the SVN mythtv in /opt/mythtv so I could restore the database and completely revert to the old version if I have trouble.

So I did export QTDIR=/usr/share/qt3 and ./configure --prefix=/opt/mythtv . Then did make and make install (and followed INSTALL instructions for myththemes and mythplugins, also specifying --prefix=/opt/mythtv for both). Added /opt/mythtv/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and ran /sbin/ldconfig . Changed /etc/profile to put /opt/mythtv/bin in front of the other bin PATH directories and edited /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend to use the /opt/mythtv/bin/mythtv-backend and adjust its PATH to prioritize /opt/mythtv/bin, too . Restarted backend and restarted xorg (control-alt-backspace) to load the new PATH, and it came back up with the SVN frontend.

Working fine so far, and now I have both of my storage drives in use with the Storage Directories feature of 0.21.

Ah, looks like I need to set up MythWeb by hand. I can handle that.