View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: VMPlayer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:26 pm 
I'm looking to set up XPressMail from AT&T to push email from my POP3 (Comcast) to my phone. Rather than leave another PC on 24/7, or look for some sort of linux compatable clone that I'd then have to continously maintain and update on KM. I'm thinking of building a Virtualized Windows PC using MS's Virtual PC then hosting this in VMWare's VMPlayer on my Myth box. AS far as I know the virtual PC would need to have Windows, Outlook and XPressMail but nothing else. My KM Box is an Athlon XP 4200+ dual core w/ 2Gb RAM.

So, my question is; does this sound crazy? am I barking mad? or do y'all think this could work.

Post subject: VMWare player
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:42 am 
I have used VMWare server, hosted on my MYTH backend. I had it on a beefy system and did not have any problems with myth as I ran VMWARE.

I was using it for Windows 98 with all of those flash games you can get online. I did notice that the VM machine ran slower than I wanted. I got away from it as the sound in the games was off. Not by much; so maybe some tweeks to the NICE level would get the sound right on.

I did have windows2000 server with FTP, HTTP and media services as a VM and it was totally acceptable.

A few years back I used VMWare's workstation product and was very happy with it on my 700mhz PC. The workstation software was better than the server software in that regard. I could not detect the sound lag with workstation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:32 am 
I started using vmware player and got frustrated with correctly setting up and modifying the configuration files. I haven't tried it on my knoppmyth box, but I setup vmware server on my ubuntu box and it runs great. It is easy to setup and configure, etc
It sounds like creating a MS virtual machine running under vmware is an unnecessary step. What about just installing vmware server (or player) and installing windows (with outlook and xpressmail) as a virtual machine?
The only catch is that vmware takes up a lot of memory, so make sure you have a lot or it'll slow everything down. If you are capturing/playing back HDTV, then I wouldn't even try it.
You can find boxes that will barely run 2000 or XP for less than $100, or most likely free. That's really all you would need. Just enough to boot 2000 or XP and run outlook/express mail.

MicroAtx Case
2 PVR250's w/remote
eVGA e-GeForce mx4000 (64 Ram with Tv/Out (Svideo))
Lite-on DVD cd-rw combo
120 GB Western Digital

Post subject: System Specs should work
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:55 pm 
Your system specs seem fine (at work I have a small VM farm 8 ESX and 73 Virtual). I have ran every version of Hypervisor on the market. I second VMserver instead of VMplayer. You can just do a lot more with it. However, both VMplayer and VMserver are sluggish out of the box (compared to VMware ESX). If you want to maximize your performance you should look into changing the following options. You can also find references by goggling "VMware Server slow performance". The options below will speed it up.

debug = "FALSE"
logging = "FALSE"
mainMem.partialLazySave = "FALSE"
mainMem.partialLazyRestore = "FALSE"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"

Good luck.

Asus M2NPV-VM - 1GB RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk - StreamZap
Frontend_2
Dragon 1.0 w/ 2G RAM - 40 GB Hard Disk StreamZap